Claim your $1M from the Great Randi

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
john curl said:
Folks, I just have to say that these comments and arguments are really basic, primitive, and elementary. How many of you have any experience about what you are talking about?
For example, in a college physics lab, I 'proved' that the 'area' of contact between two frictional blocks did NOT make any difference. This implies that auto tires should be skinny, as they have lower air resistance. They happen to be cheaper too! Have you tried this? Would you recommend it?

I happen to have done desert ralleys in Egypt. Guess what we put on the wheels of our 4-wheel drives when we got into dunes country? REAL skinny tires. Less resistance. True story!

Jan Didden

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
john curl said:
Michael Gerzon was a genius! Right up there with Richard Heyser. Too bad that they both passed away so young.

Lessee, I have a design reviewed by Jean Hiraga in La Nouvelle Revue du Son (successor to L'Audiophile), (OK, it was 1998, but still!), I also have a picture of myself and that marketing genius Mark Levinson. Do I get any points for that?

Jan Didden

punctured English

Jan, the term you were searching for is "punctuated equilibrium," coined by the paleontologists Niles Eldridge and the late Stephen Jay Gould. Read all about it in Gould's "Structure of Evolutionary Theory," yet another book which doesn't hesitate to use ten words where one will do.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Lessee, I have a design reviewed by Jean Hiraga in La Nouvelle Revue du Son (successor to L'Audiophile), (OK, it was 1998, but still!), I also have a picture of myself and that marketing genius Mark Levinson. Do I get any points for that?

Lessee....2/5?

La Nouvelle Revue Du Son is the succesor of La Revue Du Son.
L'Audiophile was simply abandoned by the same publishing house that also happens to publish LED and a handful of other "technical" magazines after they abrubtly ended series 2 of that famous monthly.
If you want to see how those guys show what NOT do to with tubes, buy a copy and have a good laugh...

Mr. Jean Hiraga is now editing director of La Nouvelle Revue Du Son.
For an explanation on how to build commercial triangles and how to learn the art of reading between the lines of economic interests send me a private e-mail....:D

Cheers,;)

/Still sipping my coffee at 22.20....SY will have to put me to bed again....

Konnichiwa,

janneman said:
Wrong again! Error correction has NOTHING to do with interpolation.

It has EVERYTHING to do. The checksum allows only MINIMAL correction of errors. If a sample is read wrongly it MAY be restored to the normal value, but it MAY not be resotred. If two samples fail to read corretly they are both lost irecoverably by the "error correction" and in turn are interpolated.

janneman said:
Error correction uses redundant data to EXACTLY correct errors.

CD Data, as opposed to CD - ROM data has ZIP redudancy in the Data. Full stop. NO reduany, only a checksum per pair of samples!

janneman said:
If THAT fails,

The very little error correction CD has fails if you LOOK to hard at it.

Sayonara

john curl said:
Folks, I just have to say that these comments and arguments are really basic, primitive, and elementary. How many of you have any experience about what you are talking about?
For example, in a college physics lab, I 'proved' that the 'area' of contact between two frictional blocks did NOT make any difference. This implies that auto tires should be skinny, as they have lower air resistance. They happen to be cheaper too! Have you tried this? Would you recommend it?

The area of contact does not make a differences to the dynamic friction force developed between the surfaces, as you correctly found in your "basic, primitive, and elementary" physics lab, so long as the normal force between surfaces is unchanged.

If would you really like to know why wider tires typically develop more grip than skinny ones (in cornering, or on a drag stip), continue reading. The limiting factor in DRY conditions for the majority of vehicles isn't dynamic friction force developed between the tire and road surfaces, which is what your lab experiment measured. It is in fact the shear strength of the rubber tire itself (as evidenced by the skid marks usually left once that limit is reached!). You may have also discovered in that primitive lab that the shear load supported by an object is directly proportional to the shear area... something wider tires do provide more of in most circumstances. Of course, there are always exceptions and complications, and sometimes a tall skinny tire has the same contact patch as a short wide one. You'd be surprised how much friction force they can develop as well. And in wet conditions, shear force is not the limiting factor due to the decreased coefficient of friction between tire and road surface... at that point you are back to dynamic friction. You might have noticed that wide tires don't buy you anything in terms of wet weather grip. ;)

What disturbs me the most is this attitude that only 25 years of work in the field is sufficient to allow one's opinion to become valid. Someone should have told Einstein that. Above I demonstrated the principle of agruing facts and physics, not posturing and prideful boasting. I could have simply pointed out that your knowledge of mechanical principles is obviously limited and erroneous, that your experience is outside that field, and as your anecdotes are therefore worthless you should probably just keep silent on issues you know nothing about.

But then that would be rude and condescending, like so many other posts in this thread. I'd much rather offer a real explanation for what you observed, hoping to simultaneously educate and keep the peace. It's the gentlemanly thing to do, is it not? Perhaps many of us would do well to make greater attempts at being civil. I for one freely admit that my frustration with some forum members is directly apparent in my terse responses. I did call Eastern philosophy silly, after all. I'm sure there was a more constructive way to make my point.

Here I find myself rambling, and I hope my point in this post was sufficiently clear, so for now I'll go back to silent mode...

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

CD Data, as opposed to CD - ROM data has ZIP redudancy in the Data. Full stop. NO reduany, only a checksum per pair of samples!

Now WTH is a CD-Data other than a CD-Rom with data on it?
Redundancy on a CD-Rom with data on it?
None, nothing whatsoever, if the file is damaged it's unreadable: end of story.

Cheers,;)

\Coffe kicking in bad, man...:xeye:

Kuei Yang Wang is going to keep on fulminating about this forever, no matter what we tell him. He wants to believe that all of his elaborate efforts to isolate his CD player using a lot of rather time consuming and costly elaborate vibration isolation methods that would be better applied to a turntable have been worth the effort.

He seems to think that CD players are so inaccurate that they are interpolating much of the time when they misread the disk.

To believe otherwise is to lose face about all of the elaborate work he has done.

You can put an extremely dirty data CD into a computer, and it very often reads the dang thing anyway. All of the files are perfectly error corrected. Just a single-bit error is enough to completely mess up the files, so I stand by my original point that there is no logical reason why putting pointy legs on a DAC could improve the sound.

For that matter you can put a rather dirty CD into a player and very often it will play properly. If it doesn't play properly, the effects are rather obvious.

I would like him to answer the following question, just to see how much science he actually understands:

If I place an object on a rigid shelf, it has a certain amount of weight. How much energy is being expended to hold the heavy item up on the shelf in opposition to gravity?

I have a strong suspicion that he will get this one wrong. The explanation I have been given about the pointy feet improving vibration energy transfer appears to have at its very core a fundamental confusion between Force and Energy.

None, nothing whatsoever, if the file is damaged it's unreadable: end of story.

Sorry Frank but we're not talking files here, just sectors. I can't say exactly how many bits the ECC can correct per sector but certainly quite a few. And voila your file is not damaged or unreadable any more even if a few bits are. The redundancy of course costs a lot in space. Something like 12% if i'm not mistaken.

You can put an extremely dirty data CD into a computer, and it very often reads the dang thing anyway. All of the files are perfectly error corrected.

You don't seem to be able to comprehend that CDROM and audio CD is not the same.

Kuei is by far not the only one who hears the effects of support on the sound of CDPs. Whether these are due to ECC circuits working overtime, the effects of vibration upon the crystal jitter or a combined effect of multiple component microphony is open to debate.

BTW, the Reed-Solomon error correction levels used in redbook CD audio discs are very good at correcting both small local errors and larger burst errors. KYW's suggestion that discs routinely produce enough errors during playback to induce interpolation or muting is incorrect.

With badly scratched or smudged discs, yes, it happens. I'm sure many of us have such discs in our collection. However, anyone judging the sound quality of a CD player (if that is your cup of tea...) would, one would hope, be using a good quality copy of a well known album.

Interpolated values being a contributor to bad sound with scratched or damaged discs in everyday use, sure. Interpolated values being a contributor to subjective quality differences during a careful audition of componenets... no.

analog_sa said:
Kuei is by far not the only one who hears the effects of support on the sound of CDPs. Whether these are due to ECC circuits working overtime, the effects of vibration upon the crystal jitter or a combined effect of multiple component microphony is open to debate.

I suspect the effects are a product of all the factors you mention, plus more, perhaps. Ed Meitner, for his part, found that cryogenically freezing CDs sounded better than a non-treated variety. He investigated the issue using a very sensitive jitter measuring device and found that treated CDs had a lower vibrational Q and, because they vibrated less, the laser tracking system did not have to work as hard, which caused the cd player power supply to work less, which caused less power supply induced jitter. Now, if cryogenically treating CDs can reduce vibrational energy, so can vibration isolation etc.

Does component microphony even exist in CD players or solid state amps?

If you rap on the amp, does ANYTHING come out of the speakers?

I have never heard this. I have plunked down heavy objects on quiescent but powered up amps at least a few times and I don't remember any sounds coming from the amp.

If such feedback were a problem, you could also get feedback sounds coming out of the amp when you stomp around in the room. I have heard such effects with turntables, but never with a solid-state amp.

C'mon, have you done any tests that could eliminate the very, very, extremely likely possibility that you are fooling yourself?

I was enjoying this until you all ventured to the CD and platform discussion. Somebody listen to the stones!

geewhizbang- I suggest you venture over to the digital forum and do a search on jitter and read some. Be sure to consider the effects the disk conditions (and other things that may seem superficially irrelevant) can have on the power supply in particular. There is a lot of interesting information there.

geewhizbang said:
Does component microphony even exist in CD players or solid state amps?

If you rap on the amp, does ANYTHING come out of the speakers?

I have never heard this. I have plunked down heavy objects on quiescent but powered up amps at least a few times and I don't remember any sounds coming from the amp.

If such feedback were a problem, you could also get feedback sounds coming out of the amp when you stomp around in the room. I have heard such effects with turntables, but never with a solid-state amp.

I don't think stomping, per se, is the issue. If you vibrate a solid state circuit board, would you not thereby induce voltages and currents in that circuit board by nearby electromagnetic fields?

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Hi,

Sorry Frank but we're not talking files here, just sectors.

I'm well aware of it but His Holy KYWness should express itself a little better...After all, we're not the only ones reading (or trying to) the lenghty smoke screens here...

Whether these are due to ECC circuits working overtime, the effects of vibration upon the crystal jitter or a combined effect of multiple component microphony is open to debate.

Technically the transistors shouldn't care one bit (pun intended) what state their in but the mere fact they are drawing current while working could point into the direction of PS interference.
That's however just guesswork on my part, I haven't seen it proven yet.

As for microphony, sure anything with parts in it kept in a box can resonate which in turn can upset its behaviour.
The difference between an acoustically well isolated player and one in a vibration ridden environment are quite audible and not subtle.
Thing is, it just doesn't seem to show up in the digital datastream, so I can only assume that that part remains unaffected by vibrations untill it finally throws in the towel and hits the muting transistors....Transistors which we've of course thrown in the dustbin but what the heck...

Or we're looking at it the wrong way, as is so often the case...

Cheers, ;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.