circuit construction

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,
Check out this page http://wiredworld.tripod.com/tronics/pcb_techniques.html and tell me what you guys think.
Can we infer that making PCBs is more of a money and time-saving scheme? Most DIYers make only one amp or whatever at a time. When making a DIY amp, all of us will be careful and time is not a constraint for us. So if wiring the components at right angles to cut out crosstalk and so on result in good circuits, why not do away with PCBs. PCBs are neater, but what we need is quality, right?
Regards,
Vivek

One really nice thing you can do with a pcb is have a ground plane that is the earth part of the cct where the entire upper side of the board is copper except for a bit of clearance around where the component leads goes through the board to the tracks on the underneath. You don't even have to use plated through holes so you can make them at home. For power amps especially, you don't have to worry so much about being careful about earth loops causing distortion because the earth resistance between any two points is rock-bottom. Also for low level stages, as well as being good for no earth loops and local bypassing with a cap that is *really* tied to earth, the groundplane acts as a sort of shield to the traces as well.

GP.

If the circuit is simple enough to wire point to point i'd do it that way (p-p wiring offers the absolute shortest signal path possible when done well and you can move components around more with less restrictions) and for audio frequencies it works well but for digital etc you really need a pcb. Vero board is good for R&D but I wouldnt do a finished circuit on Vero.

PCBs are like everything else electronic; if they're well designed they will perform like they should, and there's no reason why they couldn't match a p-t-p layout. Some PCB software can calculate parasitic capacitance and coupling for you, but in the end, i feel, it's a matter of experience.

And yes, i agree, for digital a pcb is practically the only way to go.

All,

second p2p wiring. TME nothing beats a properly done p2p wiring sonically. And as AudioFreak mentioned: shortest signal path possible.

Nevertheless, if it is an auxilairy circuit, Vero board is fine. If i need the circuit more than once, i make a proper PCB.
Using my inkjet to generate scale 1 artwork. Etching with HCl/H2O2. Please search the forum, i have described in detail how. I guess it was under Electronic Components.

Hi all,
I was thinking only about audio circuits. I am not really into digital right now. But is it only experience that makes a good point-to-point circuit or are there any basic guidelines to be followed on like how to avoid parasitic capacitance.
Regards,
Vivek

If you have to design your own pcb it takes more experience to get it right than to do it p-to-p. If you can just get pcb's that are already done or a pcb pattern for your project use them, you wont find a simpler way! One advantage of p-to-p wiring is if you turn it on and there is buzz or something you can just move things around a little until it disappears.

AKSA said:
Have you by chance completed your AKSA?
Hugh,
No, not yet started, drowning in too much projects in parallel. Hmmh, isn't that Q a bit off-topic?

I consider the AKSA as a solved problem (by you) and spend the few hours needed to build it when i need it. And when i have the plywood for the housing. Plywood comes for tonearm, TT, AKSA, speaker in one big delivery, otherwise i could not finance it at the moment..

AudioFreak,
fully agreed, just, :) did you ever have a buzz or something? me not and i m glad, the tight way i do p2p does not aloww for components to be moved. Once rebuild a SE-SS MC prepre in p2p which was on a PCB before. Vast improvement. Thing on the pix is the MC prepre.

Attachments

• mcpre_ov1_small.jpg
    mcpre_ov1_small.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 225
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.