Choosing spkrs by impedance/crossover considerations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a simple question.

Do I have to consider the impedance of each speaker in a 3-way speaker build? Is it really important or is it all taken care of during the crossover build?

I want to be able to buy 3 drivers (woofer, mid, tweeter). I want the overall speaker build impedance to be at approximate 8 ohms. Can I just buy each driver as 8 ohms and assume that during the crossover build (using VituixCAD) that I can make the overall impedance 8 ohms? Or do I have to buy a combination of driver impedances so that the wiring works out to about 8 ohms overall (for example: 4 ohm tweeter w/8 ohm mid and 16 ohm woofer to get 8 ohm speaker overall).

I'm assuming that the crossover build will take care of telling me how to wire the speakers and components so that I can buy all 8ohm drivers and get an 8ohm overall impedance for the build.

Not so much. :)

The crossover will prevent the amplifier from "seeing" all of the drivers in parallel.

Why don't you play with XSim or virtuix cad , using ideal drirvers. It will give you a good feel for how this will work.

Driver impedances rarely match, however sensitivity is important. In general, you'll want a tweeter you can pad down, instead of padding down the woofer.

Here is a link that may help:

A Speaker Maker's Journey: Crossover Basics - Impedance

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.