Choosing op-amp used for active crossover design for speaker

Hi, I am trying to design my 2-way active crossover but I am not sure which op-amp to use for the design. The circuit that I based my design on uses LM833D. However, it is out of stock, so I am thinking of maybe using a similar type op-amp such as LM833DR or LM833DR2G. What do you think?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
They are all fine. The data sheets shows any differences which would be package size and whether lead free or not.

Screenshot 2022-02-28 121316.jpg

Thank you. I think i will choose LM833DR2G as it is through hole not surface mount.
The LM833DR2G is most certainly an SO-8 surface mount component, not through hole. The LM833D is also an SO-8 part number, so please re-check the actual PCBs! The LM833N/NOPB and LM833P are the through hole part numbers, both in stock at Digikey.

The LM833 was National Semiconductor's answer to the NE5532, and that's why you find it in their application circuit. However, any NE5532 style replacement will work fine. If you want a super duper high performance op amp to replace the NE5532, try the LM4562NA/NOPB. It's a little faster than the NE5532 but far cleaner and a little quieter. The part given is the DIP package option, and Digikey has them in stock now. Digikey also has the NE5532P, the NE5532AP, and the NE5532PE4, all of which are through hole packages suitable to use in LM883N circuits.

Again - sort out which package you actually need for the PCBs - it's no fun having the wrong chips!

Best of luck!