Choosing of best sounding OP AMPs for the lowest possible THD+N -really the best Way?

True. The problem lies where people turn a good and useful tool for discovery into a religion of dogma. Of course the tool (science) when properly used is refined as discoveries are made, reinforcing the tool via a positive feedback loop of information.

Meanwhile the dogma of science hijacked into religion becomes more and more rigid as the dogma is revealed as errant and the adherents endlessly double down. This phenomenon is usually observed in people who are not scientists, don't really understand the nature of science, but do like to parrot a lot.

Fool`s gold indeed. The unsure mind is addicted to clear, black and white answers.
Measurements can provide these with ease, if needed. Just look at figure X on the page and you`ll see what I mean.
With critical listening it`s the other way around, the error, "noise", is buried in the signal and hard to point out: it`s all mixed up with music.

I'm just learning circuit layout design---can you describe to me exactly WHAT makes the sound different in alternate layouts?
When you swapped the opamps, did you put a 100nF cap between the rails and a 22pF cap across the feedback resistor to avoid any oscillations? That's what I do when upgrading opamps.

You missed the point. It's not about sounding different, it's about proper circuit layout to avoid signal degradation. Every circuit will have different requirements for how it's laid out based on physical as well as electrical specs. I usually go with whatever the chip manufacturer recommends for physical layout , power supply decoupling, impedance scaling, etc. After I'm done building a circuit I'll test it for any anomalies and fix any I find. There isn't any magic one size fits all answer to your question.

Mike

Once I built a headphone amp on a prototype board with a careful layout and bypass caps right across every power in. It used a BUF634 as an output buffer. Swapped around different opamps and found the LM6171 was oscillating at around 100Mhz! Decided to settle on the much slower AD744 :D

Fool`s gold indeed. The unsure mind is addicted to clear, black and white answers.
Measurements can provide these with ease, if needed. Just look at figure X on the page and you`ll see what I mean.
With critical listening it`s the other way around, the error, "noise", is buried in the signal and hard to point out: it`s all mixed up with music.

Interesting comment from a person who's addicted to the pure black and white position that measurements are the only thing that matters. As you say, its pure fools gold. :p

I'm just learning circuit layout design---can you describe to me exactly WHAT makes the sound different in alternate layouts?
When you swapped the opamps, did you put a 100nF cap between the rails and a 22pF cap across the feedback resistor to avoid any oscillations? That's what I do when upgrading opamps.

IMO much of it has to do with operating point. For example if we look at the THD+N vs output voltage charts for a LM4562 we see V shaped charts. Not all parts have the same plots in this respect, so unless both parts have similar sweet spots and the circuit is optimized accordingly, good chance the end result sounds different.

Of course if you've followed the mudfest of the previous several pages, prepare for an onslaught by the malcontents for your blasphemy in claiming that you hear differences, lol.

When you retrofitted the E-MU 1820m what capacitor series, brand and values did you use for ADC FILT caps?

What about the DAC FILT+, VREF and the two AOUT+/- caps?

Any chance that you measured the performance and could post the spectrum? I ask since another forum member used OPA1612 and Nichicon FPcap family and achieved really good results with an E-MU 1616m: #7104

So I am trying to refine my choices of capacitors and op-amps before I make further modifications to mine. LM4562 is attractive cost-wise. The OPA1612 is expensive but the results look fantastic.

Once I built a headphone amp on a prototype board with a careful layout and bypass caps right across every power in. It used a BUF634 as an output buffer. Swapped around different opamps and found the LM6171 was oscillating at around 100Mhz! Decided to settle on the much slower AD744 :D

I suspect strongly that your problem could have been solved by connecting a small capacitor (100pF to 1nF) from the output of the LM6171 to its inverting input.

Read the following:

https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/application-notes/an47fa.pdf

https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/application-notes/an21f.pdf

https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-documentation/application-notes/an18f.pdf

That`s an excellent example of why one should always double check with a measurement, before critical listening to make an opinion which opamp sounds best.
Let`s not to leave out that one can not hear the oscillation itself of course, but sq might very well degrade nonetheless.

ymmv etc

Which begs the question: what does oscillation sound like? One cannot hear supersonic oscillation fundamentals, but surely they must cause some sort of audible artifact: what is it?

On a previous version of my headphone amp one side was oscillating slightly and one was not. The oscillating side was quiet but had slightly lower output. It wasn't a crazy high frequency either, way less than 1Mhz if I recall.