Choosing a DAC/AMP combo

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello,
I am in the process of building a pair of Woden Bloodhound speakers for my PC and I would need help figuring out how to choose an amplifier and DAC to drive them. These speakers use MarkAudio Alpair5.2 drivers.

I know this is a diy audio forum but electronics is a bit out of my capacities I think :eek:
How do I make sure I am not over/underpowering my new speakers?
Does anyone have recommendations on what to choose?
I don't need anything fancy, only stereo, no bluetooth, etc.
Thanks!

Your ears will usually tell you when you’re over powering speakers.
I usually look for about twice what the speakers are rated for as a rough guide, but that doesn’t always happen.
I have a pair of similar speakers that are used with an amp that has 80w, and it works just fine.

Before diy, I would just find whatever I could second hand, and cheap. Sorry, but I don’t make too many specific recommendations, have found over time that they are just a waste of time, and that people tend to find their own way.

Thanks phase for the details.
If I understand correctly, the MarkAudio have 5watts power rating and an impedance of 3.4Ohm. So from what I have seen on various web pages I should multiply both together to get a result of 17, which I multiply again by 2 which gives me 34. So I should get an amplifier of at least 34Watts per channel?

Also, say I wanted to build my own DAC/Amp, are there amp boards that can be purchased and I can build the casing myself?
Thanks again!

FS 94.5428 Hz VAS 1.7845 L RE 3.4000 Ohm QMS 2.301 QES 0.6366 QTS 0.4986 dBSPL 85.4477 SD 0.0028 m2 CMS 1.5986 mm/N MMS 1.9328g RMS 0.4459 MMD 1.8477 g L1k 0.0399 mH Pwr 5 Watts Nom X Max (Mech)
+/-3mm

Wow, what a wide question - you will get so many different opinions and answers.

Considering the speakers you intend to build and without knowing your diy capabilities I would recommend a Class A amp to get the most out of those MA Alpairs. Look at the boards available on the diyAudio store. Most are Pass amps and the majority are 25W per channel, which is more than enough for your requirements. To diy - all the diyAudio store boards and kits are well documented on this forum.

Then you will also need a preamp. There are also a few options in the diyAudio store, if you want to diy one. To diy a DAC is not for the faint hearted. Rather buy a USB DAC to get started. There are many cheap options available that sound great, but all (amp, preamp and dac) depends on your source.

If you don't want anything fancy, but still good sounding - then just get a TPA3116 stereo board on eBay or Aliexpress. Just add a PSU and build it into your own box. Simple, and no preamp needed.

Also, say I wanted to build my own DAC/Amp, are there amp boards that can be purchased and I can build the casing myself?
Thanks again!

Some class D amp chips has build-in Dac. I Dont know if they as good as stand-alone Dacs. You could ask in Class D section which amp they recomend if you go this route. As mentioned there are many amplifier board on Aliexpress and they cost very little.
I now have a very nice 250watts amp. It cost me 50 dollars for the ampboards on Ali. I put it in the inclosure of an old poweramp which had blown output stages so I could reuse its powersupply as well.

Some class D chips from TI lowers the volume by lowering the voltage. This way it doesnt lower resolution as a software volume. I dont remember the name but it sounds interesting.
Edit: just remember that some powersupplys are lethal if you get a shock
Cheers!

Last edited:
Maybe get one of the popular tpa3116 Bluetooth 5.0 boards to use while you’re building a nice class A (JLH, Pass, etc.) unit of your own making.
You might be happy with the $15 amp/Bluetooth combo and spend the money you saved on something like Amazon stock or something instead.

Wow so many options aaahhh!
The diy route is very tempting, I don't know much about electronics as I said but it sure looks like fun and rewarding. I might follow phase and twocents advice and get a simple tpa3116 board for a start and see where that leads me.
But then again,the Amp Camp Amp kit sure looks neat!
Whatever route is taken, can't wait to work on it.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

Good idea Phase. At some point when Im less bussy I would like to learn enough to build this: DLH Amplifier: The trilogy with PLH and JLH amps And ofcourse many others :D. I never heard amp camp amp. Ive read mixed opinions and typically I dont go the same route as the majority. - Pretty stupid really.

@specular Newer chips than tpa3116 has more DSP power if you want to play with that some time Some has digital in which seems as the obvious choice if your computer will be the only source. If bluetooth go for Aptx HD. As i understand it has been proven sonically superior to earlier bluetooth codecs.

Cheers!

@Guerilla Yes this board seems interesting, a cheap "temporary" solution. Thanks for the precisions. Only thing that I would really like is to have a headphones output with a switch. I have looked around but it seems like a rare feature. The ability to switch between headphones and speakers without unplugging the headphones is something I would really like! I saw some DACs that can do it though.
I get you for the comment about not going the same route as the majority hehe, this is why I am building my speakers for a start. With a project like the DLH Amplifier you linked, you need to build everything from scratch from what I understand? So in the end you have a casing with electronics inside of it connected with soldered wires? No printed circuits board?

As I remember there are files for ordering a printboard. Maybe even a groupbuy. You can ask in the threads or buildthreads what is needed to add the feature you seek. You could also ask in class D section if anyone knows of a ampboard with build-in headphone amp. Actually I imagine it will be easy to put at a switch next to most headphone out and this way switch between headphones and speakers. I know too little to help with that.

Cheers!

For some of the amplifiers, that are partly born on this forum, someone has made a buildthread. Those must be easier to build than following 100 pages of work in progress. I dont know if a buildthread has been made for the DLH. There are many other interesting builds with one here.

Cheers!

These speakers are for my computer, which I use daily to work. The thing I am doing all the time is plug and unplug my headphones for remote meetings, so I was looking for a device where my headphones would stay plugged at all time and could easily switch between speakers and headphones mode without going through 3 submenus. This is a surprisingly rare feature it seems!
I found the Topping MX3, some older Topping model and the I.AM.D v200BT.
It would have been a super cool project to DIY but as I said I have so many projects in process right now I had to make a difficult choice and the Topping won, even though it is not the best sounding amp.

Unless someone has another suggestion?

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Ignore the power.

Given near field listening 5w is likely going to provide as much level as the A5 are capable of.

There are lots of good amps out there. And more crappy ones.

There are some good Class D amps, they keep getting better. A simple chipamp makes for a decent amplifier. Class A here if you can afford it would be my suggestion. Hard to beat the ACA for price/performance.

Execution is important

DACs have gotten so good that in many systems it is hard to tell them apart.

DACs fall into 2 broad categories, delta-sigma 1-bit DACs and R-R DACs with full 16-24 bit resolution. The former are typically based on a DAC chip like those from ESS, AKM, Wolfram. R-R DACs are, in the main, reliant on lare arrays of carefully matched resistors. This makes them pricey. Why? No-one is making multi-bit single chip DACs anymore. You will see a number who still use old 1542/1543 chips limited to 16 bitd. Schitt (i like their DACs) have done the hard-work to repurpose multibit medical/instrumentation DAC chips for audio.

In your situation you might want to look for a DAC/headphone amp that also doubles as a preamp. (i know the Schitt stuff does this).

The Alpair is capable of showing all the warts on what preceeds them and it is worth the effort to do a really good front end. Keep in mind that the little Alpair is stunning on its own, it is bass limited. Used as a midTweeter with added woofers they can make for a world-class system with few excuses.

dave

Okay all this talk made me question my choice.
I am taking the time and money to build quality speakers for my desk, it would make sense to feed it a quality signal.
So lets say I want to build a better sound system with less features (I can always plug my headphones in my computer directly and choose my output by software).
I would need a DAC and an amp.

planet10, I will follow your recommendation and look into a Schiit product.

Schiit Modi+ Schiit Audio: Audio Products Designed and Built in California

As far as the amp goes, I don't have the budget for a class A amp right now. So I would go with an affordable class D amp for now. So I am looking for a tpa3116 board (what is D2?) with minimal power. I am a bit overwhelmed with all the choice there is out there! If anyone has a recommendation I would gladly accept them :)
Also, if I buy just the board, I need to get a power supply and some speaker connectors and I'm good to go with whatever box I can get?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.