• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Choke & Transformer Positioning Problem

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm new here and currently building my second amp project. I've had a look around and can't find an answer to my question so please forgive me if this subject has been raised before.

It's a K12G from S5 electronics and I'm mounting the chokes and transformer on top of the amplifier, in traditional style. All three have clips on the transformer mounting frames allowing the main bulk of the transformers to be removed. At the moment the transformer wires are pointing upwards to the sky. I'd like them to point downwards as I'll gain an extra 3.1/2 - 4 cm of wire flex. I'd rather not just solder more flex on then heat shrink the joint.

I un-clipped the frames, slid the transformers out and slid the transformers back in upside down. The wires all point downwards now and I have lots of flex to play with enabling me greater choice of positioning.

Now I'm concerned that there might be some reasoning not to do this that I haven't thought of :confused: and I wanted to check with more experienced builders whether this is and acceptable way of mounting a transformer? Any help or advice on the matter would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Joined 2010
Paid Member
From a quick glance at the S5 site, it seems they slap all their components on a slab of pine, and their components are all selected to meet that criteria. I gather that you wish to have a more attractive, traditional, chassis, with the wiring hidden below. I see no reason not to invert the trannies, as you've done, and stick the wiring below. There certainly shouldn't be any performance/safety issue with doing so. I'd guess the only issue will be connecting the leads to the pc board.

What ever you do make sire the power tronsformer is at right angle (that is 90 degress) with the audio transformer and the choke also. In my opinion try and get your H.T. regulated and do away with the bulky choke altogether. it will save you alot of space.
Regards
Billy D...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.