Choke input PSU...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Somehow i could not finish my last message......
99% of the information on choke input is about low current tube designs. There have been some solid state designs using chokes but very few with choke input. The bigger current will give you less mH and big chokes.
There has been a revival for chokes in filament supplies. I think all the links have been posted in the 2 threads about chokes in the Pass '' compartment ''. I think so far only one person did go for a true choke input. If it is a TRUE choke input then you will need another power transformer. Just putting 2 mH after the rectifier will probably just filter peanuts. Putting the right value choke will make all the power supply parts work better.
Lundahl ll1694 and ll2733 can be used depending on how much current rating you need. Lower ac across the choke will give you higher current rating( info on Jac music website) These can be connected in several ways see the lundahl pdf files.
One could use a lundahl for cLc first and if you like the improvement go for choke input and get a new transformer.
The Lundahls are not that big. Maybe after the first Pass amp with Lundahl there could be a group buy asking Lundahl to make a choke on their biggest core to have more current and/or mH????
AND i would always to use a bleeder. The higher the mH the less bleeder current needed.
Greetings, Eduard

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
I tried choke input filter with both Babelfish J and Musical Fidelity A1 (DIY , from when I was just a kiddoe) ;

it's certainly more than worth of additional expense , comparing to C input filters

I wrote that several times in Papaland , during last decade , same as about my preference for decent shunt reg , for low energy stages

btw. Lundahl is expensive , at least having in mind possibility that one can always find local winder , certainly capable to make few custom chokes

Lots of info, trying to understand.. :)

Example:
Using 2x24VAC toroid and 3A current and choke input.
VDC = 24VAC x 0,9 = 21,6VDC on each rail.

Dissipation = 21,6VDC x 2 X 3A = 129,6W

Toroid needed = 129,6W / 95% = 136,4W -> 150VA (absolutely minimum!)

About correct? :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
Most companies here would not even answer you if you are asking for a set of chokes especially made for your expectations. AND if they do it will be far more expensive than the Lundahls. Maybe if it is a company that is near your house and you know the owner and you can persuade him with a nice bottle of liquor.
Most of my gear has shunt regulation and even then the advantages of a choke input are very obvious.
I never build a Pass amp maybe i will build one in the future? But i think adding a choke ( depending on how you connect it and the current and mH you want you could do with just one because there are two coils on one core) is only a small part of the total cost.
greetings, Eduard

no

it depends of several factors - size of xformer (Rout) , Rdc of choke , cap bank size , current

PSUD sim is safe bet to make it right

Of course, have played with PSUD and found caps and chokes for my use, but my question is the toroid VA. Can of course use 1KVA, but expensive... :)

Normal C input I find toroid should be 2x dissipation. But with Choke input the toroid VA can be lower as I see? But how much... ? :)
Can`t find through PSUD.

eduard: I will probably use Hammond chokes as it`s the easiest to order and not to expensive :)

Ok! Thanks Zen! :)
Was just an example.

Also thanks eduard for your info! :)

Looking in PSUD the V(L1) and I(L1) over the choke.
The choke will have some dissipation beside Rdc.
Not so easy to calculate as V(L1) and I(L1) is "halfway DC" and 90`out of phase, but dissipation is maybe something like 10-15w with 24VAC, 3A and 15mH...??

So still need some kind of big toroid!

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Hello,
The late Allen Wright wrote always use choke input and make the choke bigger than the transformer!!
Lundahls chokes can be used for choke input. Just get 2 LL2733 put windings in parallel and you will have two 100 mH 3,4 A chokes which can handle considerably more current when ac across them is lower.
Of course everything has been told before!
Better get a 300 VA EI or R core and a pair of proper chokes. If you go for 1000Va toriods you will have gigantic inrush current that needs to be handled.
All has been said so i will spend time watching movies.
Greetings, eduard

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.