Chip amp kit, digital or analogue.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello
I need a small amp kit for a music streamer. Max output around 10 watts per channel with excellent quality and low distortion. Ebay has masses but which one, some are class ab and some class d, does it make much difference. I have never used or heard a digital amplifier so wondered which kit to get.
Ps its got to be cheap too.
Thanks
thyristor44

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If you can hear a difference AB or D, one amp is crap.

Recent D amps are very good. You *may* be able to hear a difference. Buying off eBay I'd expect more difference from in-different vendors (of either type) than from the internal topology.

D is very much better for Battery operation. Also for Very Large powers where the heatsinking for AB becomes annoying.

At the 10W line-power level, it isn't a break-the-budget decision. Get one. If not happy, get another. The "rejects" may still serve as shop or garage music amps.

Hi,

10W into 8 ohms is completely 20W into 4 ohms car
amplifier BTL territory and there are loads of them.

They all run off a single 12V (usually) to 15V supply.
FWIW car amps must run off 13.8V so most do !5V.

Your solution can be a BTL chip amp board or a
class D board (thay are all BTL AFAIK). There
is so much choice its very hard to be specific.

For sure class D (T-amp) is going to be easier
to fit as you basically don't have to worry
about the heat sinking, its all on board.

rgds, sreten.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> used or heard a digital amplifier

P.S.

Most (all?) of these are not "digital". They are Analog In Time instead of Analog In Voltage. This (plus the output filter to make the time-switched output a smooth voltage) makes them very difficult to design well. However MUCH work has gone into this over a couple of decades, by chip-makers who publish tested plans and revise chips/plans as appropriate, so it doesn't matter to you.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.