Cheers from Zagreb - Croatia

Hello diyAudio community,
Finally I registered at this site, deliberately didn't say joined as for last couple of years I read several threads here throughout as observer, so I already feel like part of it.
Particularly I liked 10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST / WAW Ref Monitor from Xrk and DLH Amplifier: The trilogy with PLH and JLH amps from Diego. This is just to mention few of my liking, there are 100's of great posts here. The size of this community is overwhelming for me, it seems that everything is already digested, maturated and answered in every possible way . So much experience , knowledge and innovation!. Ill stay humble with my things, I know something, but by far not a master in this subject.

I started this hobby in 1980's as teenager (I'm 56 y.o. now) by dismantling parents audio devices for parts. Oh Lord how sorry I am that I destroyed radio from 50's with EL34 output stage and 3 x 8" paper cone speakers then. Radio was mono and I needed stereo, it was also only AM so no use for anyone... But amp was great, and speakers could be also if the moths didn't eat membranes while laying in garage...:eek:
In early 1990's I quit my university (mechanical engineering) and got job from necessity, some money allowed me to continue without scavenging for parts, this book was something available and as you can see from picture, read over and over many times..

IMG_20240210_110606.jpg

Then I learned some high end stuff about opamps. Bought my first OP27, SSM2017, TLE2027 and NE5532. But there were few misconceptions that I learned about later; they teach about ground planes as solution for all ground issues (while its not) and encouraged my addition to tantalum condensers, which also proved wrong with time.
At that time, 1993 - 1994 , I bought KEF construction kit and built preamp, 3x24db/octave xover and 6 channels of amps (4 were standard 3 stage (bass and mid) based on MJ802/4502 transistors, and for highs I made double LTP x one more double LTP + IRF530/9530 mosfets for tweeters) . It worked!

End of 1990's and beginning of 2000's the internet became a blessing, I started to read articles from Nelson Pass and became religious , not that I am religious other ways in any way :). At the same time my financial situation was great, so:
  • I bought my Sonus Faber Signums, I have serial number 18. Still my reference when I want to check my sanity.
  • Built fully differential preamp based on IRF610 LTP and 24pole rotary switch volume control , inspired by Nelson's Balanced Zen
  • Build what I was always dreaming off; a proper turntable. here are 2 pictures, from design phase, and finished (white mass is limestone):
DSC01145.JPG

IMG_2314.jpg

• Built an super quite fully balanced passive RIAA preamp to match also newly acquired Benz Micro Ruby 2 naked.... by the way this cartridge is awesome and still with me after 20+ years.
  • And final effort was Nelson Pass inspired amplifier, its some 300 w fully balanced monster based on IRF610 LTP and IRF240/9240 x5 (total 40 IRF's for stereo) . Its only 2 gain stage (LTP + output) and I never seen it done like that. Here are few pictures from 2005:

IMG_1463.JPG

IMG_1464.JPG

This is still my reference amp, even I measured it just lately and THD is not very impressive, but slave rate definitely is.

Since then, until few years ago, audio was in big competition with life and other hobbies which are many. I was happily listening to what I have and said I will never build speakers again as its too much for me.
But since Covid, many things changed. My professional occupation (management consultant in packaging industry) slowly went down the drain, last job in 2010 gave me burnout an now I have 8 y.o. son (which is blessing), We went from city center to stand alone house on the hill and I finally have place to disassemble all my hobby boxes.
Due to those circumstances, now finally I read Douglas Self book, many articles here, lot from Elliot Sound products (great guy, sorry he argues with Nelson, both views are legitimate) , Rane and so on... and started again.
Here is latest , still in fine tuning project; 10" woofer in a reflex tube + Visaton B80 in a ball, active amplification of course;
IMG_20230202_132124.jpg

I would like to contribute DiyAudio by one article (to open subject about what I did, with hope for improvement ideas from the group) as I cant write all at once.
What do you think would be best for start, please let me know:
1. Limestone plinth and plate turntable with super heavy bronze bearing + fully balanced MC + passive RIAA phono stage
2. Nelson Pass inspired (not his design, its mine but I had him in mind) fully differential 2 stage amp AB class
3. FAST 10" ala sonotube (but this one is from sewage pipes) + B80 widerange in a ball (made from Ikea salad bowls)
4. Rebuilding an amplifier; one PA 6 channel amp is on my desk now in process of upgrade. While it was decent product in itself, I counted over 40 changes I made. This is not about circuit diagram on a PCB, but about mechanical things, wiring mains, wiring PS, transformer, various connectors,,,, wiring ground (I said it, I see many heat about grounding here) .. So its an guide for starters.
5. Sounds as off subject, but forum is called "audio" and not "hifi"; and audio radio for elderly, visual impaired or blind people. My mother (she is 95 and last 20 years suffers from macula degeneration) inspired me to make blind friendly device to read audio books, Not an easy item to find. For other listening sourpusses I bought her 2 Tivoli radios and that does great job. But how blind person reads audio book... Is this an subject?

Pls let me know if anyone wishes me to start any of this?

Many thanks,
Dražen

Reactions: 1 users
Thank you Netlist,
Some magic was inside, pity I didn't see it then :cry:
Now I'm much more in love with vintage audio and learn to appreciate it.

Which of 5 subjects would be interesting for you for me to start?

PS for everyone, I'm horribly sorry for grammar mistakes, its autocorrect that just changes the words that I type instead of underlying them... Guess I'm old ...
When first mobile phones started, a friend of mine from Manchester asked me if i know what book means, he had 15 yo son. I said what? a book, literature or what. He said no, it means Cool, because when kids write cool in early phone sms it automatically corrected to Book......

Joined 2014
Paid Member
I would like to hear about the Nelson Pass influenced amp as well as the turntable! Your projects are inspiring. Thank you for making this post :) It was a good read.

Regarding the 10F/8424 & RS225-8 FAST, I have a pair of speakers with the RS225 drivers. They are impressive for their price.

Thank you all for very kind words! It's empowering!

To finish my introduction, 3 more things to mention:
I'm big fan of professional audio gear and big disliker of hi-end snake oil. I don't believe that cabels make any sensible difference, but I am sure that it's important how one connects them, and decent (not necessarily expensive) connettors do matter. While being objective it still puzzles me why LP on good turntable sounds so much better than the same song played digitally (in blind test) , can't explain that scientifically. Into same pot, why high Thd Amp with only few transistors sounds so much more like music than properly engineered and elaborated 0.00000xxx THD Amp, again mistery... Scubydoo where are you?
Second, I'm big squirrel, flea markets and scrap yards lover, an hoarder. On those places you (almost) never find what you need in that moment, but other lovely stuff that ends up in garage waiting for project to be developed around it.
There is a pile of nice stuff in may basement, NOS parts, my own buy unused parts from decent shops and vintage hi-fi. I will offer most of that for sale so it doesn't gather dust anymore.
And finally, the music, what we all building these things for?
I'm big sucker for alter and elektro from 90's: cocteau tweens, tuxedo moon, dead can dance or the the hit the top of playlist for me. Clock DVA also rings.
Then Duesseldorf Kraut , DAF, kraftwerk, plasikman, CAN. Just love innovation in music art.
Bauhaus, joy division, just classics.
Nick cave is the king!
When in depression or mellow, Nina Simone, Macy, the rat pack, Miles Davis, Charles Aznavour, will make my day.
Cheers to guys from Macedonia, Mizar and Lola v Stain are 2 great bands from down south I enyoy putting on play.
From classic, Bach (guess because I studied mathematics so hard on mechanical uni), shostakovic, musorgsky... Oki, this can go on, probably was quicker to mention what I don't like. Don't like Rolling stones!

Hi Chip,
I was subscriber of SAM svoj majstor magazines in 80's, remember those projects, that was based on dynaudio drivers and was super expansive for me at that time. That was made in Jugoslavija with Danish help, hi end projects, ambitious stuff. Congratulations on building one of those early then!
My magazines went into recycling long time ago 😬

I bought the drivers from Banex - Zagreb. And yes, expensive they were. That year, my grandma decided to share her lifelong saving from her modest pension to us, her grandchildren. To spend wisely. So I did :).
Today I don't regret any single pfening spent. I was so excited by the result it motivated my hunger for knowledge. That really helped my education and carrier (thanks grandma!).

BTW I still keep SAMs

Reactions: 1 users
Dears,
Thank you again for warm welcome!

Got 2 votes for big amp and 1 for speakers and turntable each.
Nevertheless I will start with speakers just because its active project in mature phase, and well documented. Is this for fullrange or multiway forum?

The big amp I did not open since it was built sometimes in 2005, the circuit diagram was on paper that seems to be thrown away sometimes. I need to draw circuit diagram again and prepare myself to open the amp and start modifying since I'm sure that members will come up with precious improvement suggestions. That is all a lot of time to spend, so I will prepare it while the speakers are being finished.
Yesterday I managed to measure the amp. Im still learning how to measure properly so might be its not done correctly, but if you are interested here is picture that I got. Power wise, it starts clipping at 41 V RMS with 10 ohm load (10 ohm as I only have 10 ohm resistor in 200W size :))

Attachments

• Pojačalce 10ohm load 2024-02-17 .jpg
    Pojačalce 10ohm load 2024-02-17 .jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 22
I started this hobby in 1980's as teenager (I'm 56 y.o. now) by dismantling parents audio devices for parts.
I did the same, Iskra receiver, Phillips deck, ..... also in the 80s, but I'm 8 years younger :ROFLMAO: .
And finally, the music, what we all building these things for?
I'm big sucker for alter and elektro from 90's: cocteau tweens, tuxedo moon, dead can dance or the the hit the top of playlist for me. Clock DVA also rings.
Then Duesseldorf Kraut , DAF, kraftwerk, plasikman, CAN. Just love innovation in music art.
Bauhaus, joy division, just classics.
Great choice ;)

I was subscriber of SAM svoj majstor magazines in 80's, remember those projects, that was based on dynaudio drivers and was super expansive for me at that time. That was made in Jugoslavija with Danish help, hi end projects, ambitious stuff. Congratulations on building one of those early then!
My magazines went into recycling long time ago 😬
I still have some of them that I left as a keepsake :)

Greetings from the sea

Attachments

• 757.jpg
    757.jpg
    224.4 KB · Views: 25
Reactions: 1 user