Cheap SLA Battery w/ charger for SI T-Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For those looking for SLA battery power for the Sonic Impact 5066 (or even the TEAC) ...

I was in Wal-Mart today and they were clearing out a SLA battery and charger combo for $5.00. The battery is rated 12Volts / 2.3 Amp Hours. It was originally 18.00, and is designed to fit into 1/6 scale remote control cars. The wall-wart charger is rated 12V/300mA. The battery is about 6.5" x 2.4" x 1.5".

The battery and charger are both fitted with leads and connectors. The connectors are polarized and of the type commonly seen in RC vehicles. Looked like a good power source for the SI 5066, so I picked up 3 and left another dozen or so behind.

It is in a plastic blisterpack with lime green and black paper. The manufacturer/distributor is Columbia Telecommunications Group Inc., model number is BATSET-12V, UPC code is 31103 1352, and the WalMart item number (from my receipt) is 003110313252

Clearance SLA battery at Wallmart

Thanks for the tip. I have been using active power, but for 5.00 each I can live with batteries. These are nice!
First Wallmart tried had none, but second looked at had five of them. This will give me two for my mono amps, one for the Monica 11, and 2 spare.

George

Went back today... Marked down to $1.00 - yes, one dollar. Couldn't resist the compulsion to buy the remaining 5 sets.

By the way - I suspect this power source (SLA) functions like a capacitor in that it is able to provide a large instantaneous amount of power when demanded. Definately noticed a difference in the sound when compared to a 1 AMP wall wart.

Hey, guys! I've combed most of the Wal-Marts in my area (N-NW suburbs of Chicago), to no avail. Is there any rhyme or reason as to where these batteries can be found?:bawling:

I tried to trace the SPC number on Wal-Mart's website, as well as at two stores, but it's as if this item never existed! And there doesn't appear to be a website for the manufacturer.

Can anybody report any sitings in the NE Illinois/ SE Wisconsin area? I have three T-Amps, and would like to try out battery power.

Thanks,

Mike

Fuzzbrain01 said:
Hey, guys! I've combed most of the Wal-Marts in my area (N-NW suburbs of Chicago), to no avail. Is there any rhyme or reason as to where these batteries can be found?:bawling:

Hey Mike,
I had the same experience in NC. I looked in the Charlotte area as well as in 4 stores in eastern NC while on vacation (I need to get a life :xeye: ). I did find that one store's computers indicated they had it in stock, but they weren't there. And of course, Walmart's highly paid employees could give a rat's rear end if I found it.

Oh well, back to battery mart for me, they have pretty good prices (<$10 for many of the smaller SLA's).

Hit or Miss

Fuzzbrain01 said:
I have found them in about 40% of the walmarts looked in. They are in the computer as a 6 volt battery. The price is 17.95, not 5.00.
I got five for 5.00 each the first time because they were on the clearance aisle and I thought the regular price was 17.95. The next couple of times they informed me that 17.95 is the clearance price.
Look in toys around the other rechargable batteries. Or in clearance if they have one.
The work great, using two two to power my mono SI and two more to run the analog/digital sections of a Monica II dac. The blue LED's for each are pulling them down quicker than the chips.

George

I tried to trace the SPC number on Wal-Mart's website, as well as at two stores, but it's as if this item never existed! And there doesn't appear to be a website for the manufacturer.

Can anybody report any sitings in the NE Illinois/ SE Wisconsin area? I have three T-Amps, and would like to try out battery power.

Thanks,

Mike

www.gruberpower.com

they also sell on ebay

last time I checked the 7.2ah was $6.85 - their shipping is realistically priced as well, given batteries are heavy.

the $15 charger they sell works well up to the 11.5ah batteries. It will not float charge the 18ah automatically. Had to get a $35 smart charger from batterymart.com for the big ones (those chargers are much faster, too).

Peter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.