Cheap but powerfull PA system!

Hello everyone,

I currently own a very cheap PA System : Devine brand triphonic system (Devine b118a mkii active subwoofer + 2 Devine Trono 12 heads)
In terms of value for money, it's excellent but I would like a more powerful system, with more impact (feel).
I considered purchasing an additional subwoofer, like The box TA18, but I don't think it's ultimately a good idea and I prefer to start with a blank page and a new project.

✅ Budget: 600€ (i already have amplifiers)

✅ Use: Indoors, party with friends, birthdays. Generally 50 people, let's say 100 to gain some margin

✅ Source : a Pioneer DDJ-RR controller, connected to a Behringer FBQ3102HD equalizer. I will buy an active filter.

▶️ What I had imagined:

• Subwoofers:
(I already have an amplifier : T.Amp TSA1400 (1x1400w / 4ohms))
2 MTH30 with The.Box speaker 12-280-w (250€) or LF12G301 (400€)

• Heads
(I already have an amplifier : Crown XPX900 ( 2 X 180W / 8ohms or 2 X 300W / 4ohms)
I hesitate between:
  • 2 DIY speakers based on 1 Fane 12-250TC (77€ each + wood and accessories = 100€ / speaker)
  • 2 used speakers (Yamaha S112IV or JBL FRX115, etc... ) (approxiamtively 200/250€ pair)

Looking forward to reading your reviews!
If you have any comments, suggestions, I am open! 🙏

What I would do in your position/budget is a single SS15 and a pair of 10”/1”. With the best 15 you can reasonably obtain (say, 15TBX100 - B&C being the best value for the money. Step UP if possible to a longer throw neo driver). Many options exist for 10” mains that will fit your budget/power - the amp isn’t huge. The idea being that you make one GOOD sub that you can build more of later so no wasted money. When you outgrow the 10’s they will be useable as DJ monitors or extra speakers in another zone such as a patio or front lawn (And they will be what you want for the purpose). If all you ever do is B-day parties and such the system will be plenty enough to bring the cops.

Reactions: 1 user
Personally I'd stick with your current tops as they should have enough oomph. How are you connecting them ? Is there a high pass signal out from your active sub which you feed to the amplifier? They should be able to go loud enough if they are being high passed at say 120hz rather being used in full range. Youll probably get at least an extra 3db out of them high passed and the mid range will sound better.

Unfortunately neither of your amplifiers have any filters which complicates things going fully passive. So you need some kind of crossover unit. The citronic cx23 is cheap, not amazing but its not bad either and will do the job until you can afford something better.

Work on EQing the tops a bit to get them sounding better. Some basic EQ settings will help, which is to cut the mids 3 db between 1k to 2.5k, and boost the top end to make them sound crisper, a few db from about 8k upwards to add some extra sizzle. Loud / harsh / oppressive mids at high levels will make any PA sound a bit nasty, so the mids cut will help a lot with that.

Then just spend the majority of your budget on upgrading the sub. If you can sell your active one and replace with a decent quality sub unit, or 2 if you can stretch to it. 2 B&C drivers / SS15 cabs as recommended above is not too far off your budget limit. Use some cheap hardwood ply at 50 a sheet, which isnt as nice as using birch, but it is adequate when money is tight. All that would be a pokey enough system for your parties.