Cheap 99.9999999999% pure distilled/de-ionized water in Australia

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just some info for my compatriots. i'm not sure if this is really the right place or whether construction techniques may have suited better. I was recently searching for a reasonably priced, easily available source of distilled water for rinsing projects after soldering/reflowing and after the brush with alcohol to get rid of flux and generally make it shiny/clean.

after finding some of the local prices for small amounts at electronics supplies stores quite ridiculous, or only for huge amounts, I did a bit of googling. I came across a company called refresh that uses a patented evaporation process (I guess the machinery is patented) to get what is essentially 100% pure water (it is essentially, but they cannot guarantee 100%, so have to say 99.999..%)

they do not stop at industrial grade, but take it to food grade, so no chemical residue like some other distilled water I saw, nothing at all, just water. the best bit is you can buy it at Woolworths under the name Moores ultrapure, or refresh, so I only had to pop up the road. ~$4 for 5lt and I can use it for drinking too. they deliver for the larger amounts in 20lt (think you need to get 2 x 20lt for free delivery)

So anyway I thought it was a cool find and may be of interest to someone on here, since its useful for drinking as well as any production, or scientific uses and handy; since Woolies are everywhere.

Drinking distilled water is hazardous.

not this type it isnt, it really would be better if you read the post before replying... drinking water that only qualifies as distilled water ie industrial, non food grade water is hazardous as it isnt purified/processed with food regulations in mind and may contain trace of industrial processes, particulates etc. but that is not what we are talking about here and I thought I made that pretty clear. are you saying that drinking rain is hazardous?

How is it packaged?

I did link the website didnt I? ;)

I gather thats why they cannot claim 100% that the containers and atmosphere, or delivery cannot be guaranteed to be 100% free of impurities that are beyond their control. its packaged in numbers of ways, the 5lt bottle I got is in a plastic bottle, but labelled BPA free ie No Bisphenol A in packaging.

Also no chemicals, no salt, no bacteria. its steam distilled. they also sell it in 20lt containers for work/office watercoolers, as well as by the tanker load among other methods to food producers, scientific and industrial etc. I got it in the drinking water isle at the largest supermarket chain in the country afaik, Woolworths/Safeway. they are the largest supplier of purified water in Australia, but its not spring water, not what is normally called distilled water; it is essentially pure water made by evaporating and condensing water and using processes, packaging and delivery that has qualified under the regulations, so it qualifies as all of the above. (by that I mean distilled, deionized, drinking water)

I added the extra 9's for effect

Last edited:
I guess the packaging will vary depending on the requirements of the consumer. what I got is sold as pure drinking water, so who knows exactly the purity in this package, which as you guys have rightly brought up is probably the dominant factor for purity of the end product you receive. I would guess that the 100PPT is the water before packaging and if you really need the highest purity there are other methods for packaging.

These guys are not one of these lifestyle water brand companies and the guy didnt hype me on anything, he put me onto the fact that Woolies had it because he doesnt deal with 5lt bottles, only 2 x 20lt and up.

I have no reason to disbelieve him. it says nothing of the exact purity on the label of the bottle here, its very simply packaged

$4 for 5lt is hardly elite for drinking water.

Last edited:
yawn, yeah i'm aware of that, even plain tap water is. but thats only if you drink a lot of it and wash away your stomach lining as well as various other salts I guess. providing you also dont eat anything to replace said elements. I know, why dont you guys write to the food regulators and tell them water is hazardous.

bloody hell... this site is so boring and unfortunately predictable sometimes, I linked it for washing PCBs, but it also qualifies as food quality, so is sold cheaply at woolies.

just out of interest, where exactly are the trace elements coming from in rain tanks, which I drank from for the first 15years of my life. the air? just how many trace elements would you expect to dissolve on the way down?

Last edited:
Lots. Rainwater is not particularly pure.

even in the antarctic? gasses sure, but salts? i'm sure there is some and yet you can still poison yourself with it.

disclaimer, please drink the water linked above responsibly, I take no responsibility for your untimely death if you fail to heed this warning.

Dan:
linking a mineral waters forum with mineral water sponsors banner ads is not acceptable evidence that drinking pure water is bad for you, its only bad for you if you drink lots and also have a diet devoid of proper nutrients. desalinization plants are unlikely to be putting much by way of a variety of naturally occurring salts in, neither are the sewage treatment plants. i'll take pure water (in moderation of course ;) ) plus fresh vegetables and a proper diet anyday.

note: I take Spirulina and tissue salt supplements already such as mag.sulph and have since I was a child, so i'm not concerned

Last edited:
just how many trace elements would you expect to dissolve on the way down?
Not sure about trace elements, but plenty of 'smog' type junk, and organic stuff too.
Country rain water might be ok for drinking, but city rain water is fit for garden plants only, but not home grown veggies.

Back to OT...I have found detergent and warm tap water to be fine (the purified water is probably safer still) for final washdown of pcb's, provided that compressed air and heating oven (bench top sandwich oven) are used immediately to quickly remove any remnant moisture.

"Refresh" water ought to be good for lead-acid batteries also.

Dan.

Not sure about trace elements, but plenty of 'smog' type junk, and organic stuff too.
Country rain water might be ok for drinking, but city rain water is fit for garden plants only, but not home grown veggies.
Agreed, this was up in Buderim on the Sunshine Coast 37-22 years ago

yeah Ive got compressed air sorted as well as a standard heatshrink gun. I dont really trust doing it with tapwater especially in Brisbane and given some of the BGA and passivated die packages i'm working with. the plan is compressed IPA then the water and dry.

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Once you open the bottle, wouldn't it lose all its high level purity? I'm thinking it would react with the air, which has dust, etc. in it. And when you pour it out, won't some of it touch the bottle's lip and then get carried back into the bottle?

just asking because I'm curious. No criticism intended.

De-Ionized (DI) water is rather reactive. It'll bond to any free ion available. That's why it doesn't stay "DI" very long. It's also why the use of DI water is not recommended for automotive cooling systems and such. It eats up the parts it's supposed to cool.

In the semiconductor world where high-purity water is needed, the DI water is continuously cycled through a de-ionizer. It's also treated with UV light to kill bacteria. The piping is all plastic to avoid contaminating the water.

Note that DI only removes the charged particles. If you want pure H2O, you need to get steam distilled water.

~Tom

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.