CD player question!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
HI, im a complete newbie at this cd player stuff. i know this is gonna sound stupid but someone has to start somewhere. i have a cd player which is quite old and the laser assembly seems to be of high quality. i have searched online and found a nice DAC that i want to build. That DAC calls for a DIGITAL IN and the cd player i have only puts out RCA. plus i wanted to bypass the conversion on the board in the cd player and rather let the DAC do it and connect the laser straight to the DAC. Is that possible? is there somehow i can take the strip comming from the laser with 12 pin end (don't know what its called, but its copperish color) and connect it stright to the line in in the DAC? Please guide me on what to do because this stuff interests me and im very eager to learn. Would appreciate help. thanx.

maybe searching google would be a good start on this one. you need to know what type of output your transport (laser assembly) puts out. usually is SPDIF, but if its a Philips it probably also has I2S. then, you need a DAC that converts this digital signal to analog. It shouldnt be too hard to find which traces you need to cut in your player to implement your own dac.

start reading up, lots of info out there on basic stuff like this.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.