CD playback and DAC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
A sound quality problem was found by listening, then tracked to it its source which was found to be RFI. After removing the problem, a very slight improvement in AP measured distortion was observed. The sound quality improvement was significant, the measured distortion improvement was insignificant.

That's my interpretation of what I think cdsgames was saying.

There’s nothing wrong with what cdsgames is saying, simply because it’s in the Vendor Bazaar forum. It is perfectly legitimate to advertise such findings over there, that’s the purpose of that place, to allow current or potential vendors to post marketing filled messages. If you could post your opinions over there you would get absolutely no objections from anybody. Give it a shot and you’ll see.

And no, I’m not playing with you; to me, playing requires either a partner or an adversary I could respect.

Why listening to CDs of bad mastering Engineers?
Anyone can check the final mix for that.
Btw, this is why headroom is mandatory in broadcast production

Presumably because you like the music. I doubt that everyone realizes that setting the highest sample to 0 dBFS is equivalent to recording louder than 0 dBFS.

In any case, why use a DAC that has astronomical dynamic range figures, but can't play normal CDs without hard clipping?

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Presumably because you like the music.

Quite. There are odd types who only listen to audiophile approved recordings and miss out on the thing that matters.

I will say that I don't believe intersample issues are the boogeyman some think it is, but accept that a competent high end DAC should have some method of handling this (preferably switchable)

If you listen to human voices or other things you know the sound of in reality, and it sounds like a belt sander or a power saw is running in the background at a low-ish level and garbling the sound (at a low-ish level), you can be pretty sure its not supposed to be in a recording of a human voice singing music.
Your test of fidelity is comparing what you think you are hearing to what you think you should be hearing?

Except I'm not selling anything and cdsgames is. Nobody in this forum can say that I have ever tried to sell anything to any of them. The only thing you and some others don't like is that I tell the truth about what some people can hear, and it annoys the partially deaf like you.

You quoted in an allegedly technical discussion somebody (cdsgames) wearing a salesman hat, on a commercial forum, with his extraordinary claims. Not a good way to improve your credibility, you could do better (if there's anything to be done better).

...his extraordinary claims...

His claims were not extraordinary in the least. Things like that get noticed by alert designers who bother to listen. In most cases though, commercial designers keep their secrets for competitive advantage. Its also clear cdsgames doesn't want to give away too many details about the solutions he used, no surprise there.

Doesn't matter there are only a few likely solutions. You can figure them out yourself, I'm sure.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Bill, True, but Dr. Toole might be a fool if he doesn't make a panel of people like us too.

Dunno, I would not want design decisions on audibility made with my ears given they don't do the full 20-20k, not even sure how good the channel balance is. Add the masking of tinnitus on a bad day and I'm no way 'normal hearing'

Of course if designing audio equipment for the over 55s...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.