CB5 bipole floorstander plans

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This is a much capable bipole. Its loud, simple, and robust.
I base it on CIARE HX132 5 inch driver. 2 per cabinet, push - push parallel. Its reflex loaded with the simplest of constructions. Inner stuffing is minimal using wool felt.
It must be standing on floor spikes because the reflex mouth does not like floor contact.
I picked up the CIARE because it goes low, and its natural FR lends it to bipole.
The speaker can be played without a notch but I suggest you use the filter I give here that irons it out and opens it up.
Please dont play with its values, its a very delicate balance.
The speaker plays well at 85 cm front baffle to back wall with minute toe in. That is with the filter.
Raw it may boom & tizz a little, shout just a bit here and there, but is more dynamic.
You can use 4 posts. One pair for direct feed and one for filtered feed. So you keep options when you change stuff in your system or when you change positioning. With the filter it can go nearer to back wall in general.
All in all its an animal of a fullrange that goes down to 50Hz with 93 dB sens and 80W of true RMS power handling.
It sounds very dynamic and clear. Enjoy.

Attachments

• hx132.gif
    hx132.gif
    27.8 KB · Views: 1,283
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
lining

I do line sides, top, back from rim down, front half. I use 1cm thick felt. Yes you can brace it in the middle with a cross.

The prototype isn't braced but the wooden block between magnets stiffens it at the top.

As it is, it does not sound like having any resonance problems.

Today I had a long listening session on the CB5s with a mate holds a classical guitar teaching degree. He has big threeways in a huge living room. He was impressed.
After 4 days they have loossend up, and the impact is just astonishing for a fullrange -and not only-.

He commented on the the balance with the filter. He says that I got it spot on allround. We listened to Classical, Muddy Waters, Tito Paris, D. Krall, J. Cash, Kraftwerk, and Goran Bregovic. The big drums on Bregovic (ever seen film 'Underground' then you may know Serbian frenetic drums and brass) not only hold a great impact but the pace was exemplary. We got 103dB average @ 3m with the 20W tube amp just cruising at half volume! They can can easily go to 110 @ 3m with a moderate tube amp.

Remember that the driver I chose, has 5mm linear travel (+/- 2.5) but when doubled, it needs half that for same SPL. Or double the SPL for hitting distortion. Neat for loudness and distortion, yes?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Charts

Black Is filtered. Green is raw.
I give a single filtered chart for clarity, and one combined chart for comparison. Mic Preamp gain constant. SPL for 2.83V. Smoothing = 6th oct. Mic @ 1.2 m.

Z=5 Ohm (not Ohms, Ohm was a man :) ).

Attachments

• cb5 frequency charts.gif
    cb5 frequency charts.gif
    95.5 KB · Views: 752
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes - no

Yes I considered Fostex FE-166E, but the xmax is much less and I dont like the wheezer. Fostex paper can sound more natural though.

No I did not implement a single driver speaker with the CIARE. I had a big guts bipole in mind and I picked it up on such grounds.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.