• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

CB radio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
wicked1 said:
A big copper mesh cage around my house would be awesome. I bet the wife would love it, too!

Actually, copper is pretty valuable these days. It would probably get stolen before too long.

Also, some magnetic shield (Mu Metal?) would be good. But don't forget about power and phone lines, they will carry RF inside!
Like, sitting on a North Pole putting one end of an iron rod under your dress will bring a cold from outside...

Speaker cables in your case (tube power amp) may not be so receptive like ground loops, so symmetrical transformer coupling between signal sources and power amp may help.

As a ham operator myself, I can tell you that there is nothing you can do but fix it on your end.

Sounds crappy, and it is. But that label on the back of equipment that says "type accepted by the F.C.C" and goes on to say "This device may NOT create interference, and MUST receive any interference received"

Well that's basically telling you not to call them.

I run full legal limit on all HF bands, and I was destroying some neighbors electronics.

My station is fully compliant, and I have a license, so the people had to get better stuff.

Sounds crappy.

But if you're a radio operator, it's not so bad. :D

However, on the turkey fart band, they are only allowed 4 watts effective radiated power. Of course I operate there for fun some times. CBers like swing! Well. I can transmit a carrier of 80 watts, and with modulation applied, my forward power, is just over 1500 watts "rms". PEP, or CB watts as I call it, about 3.5KW

I wouldn't try the needle in the coax.

That's a crime, multiple crimes.

And if you stick that coax when the guy is transmitting you'll be fingered with a quickness.

RF burns are horrible. And you would want to go to the hospital.

Because it will hurt like hell and maybe even seem like nothing is wrong by looking at it.

1.5kw RF into your hands. LOL

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.