Castle Winchester Project

Hoping this finds a few Castle Acoustics fans.
I am looking for complete dimensions (or heck, even if you had a beat up pair to sell) on the Castle Winchester speaker. I believe thy ceased producing them in the late '90's, finishing with a final version run of less than 100 pairs.
Would welcome cabinet makers to chyme in as I would love to discuss jobbing this out (I am in an apartment now so do not have wood working tool access).
Any cross-over and woofer/tweeter info and reverse engineering help is appreciated and I am willing to compensate for time and photos.
Much appreciated and I hope I can find help here,
Rob
raudioc

Hoping this finds a few Castle Acoustics fans.
I am looking for complete dimensions (or heck, even if you had a beat up pair to sell) on the Castle Winchester speaker. I believe thy ceased producing them in the late '90's, finishing with a final version run of less than 100 pairs.
Would welcome cabinet makers to chyme in as I would love to discuss jobbing this out (I am in an apartment now so do not have wood working tool access).
Any cross-over and woofer/tweeter info and reverse engineering help is appreciated and I am willing to compensate for time and photos.
Much appreciated and I hope I can find help here,
Rob
raudioc
Hi Rob,
I have a pair of the Winchester

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Went looking for some pictures, these turned up https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649410955-legendary-castle-winchester-speakers-for-sale/

1774205-c6aebcd7-legendary-.jpg

I have had one set of Castle tru here, but this one is special, having loaned the name Castle to the speaker firing up configuration. Look to have a SEAS tweeter i may have a pair of those heavily tweaked for better performance.

Most often seen when referring to Castle microTower.

castle-microtower-teaser-jpg.138653

dave

Went looking for some pictures, these turned up https://www.canuckaudiomart.com/details/649410955-legendary-castle-winchester-speakers-for-sale/

View attachment 1033913
I have had one set of Castle tru here, but this one is special, having loaned the name Castle to the speaker firing up configuration. Look to have a SEAS tweeter i may have a pair of those heavily tweaked for better performance.

Most often seen when referring to Castle microTower.

castle-microtower-teaser-jpg.138653

dave
Hi Dave,
It looks like my Winchester is different from yours. Mine is similar to a promotion leaflet I found. See photos

- Richard

Attachments

• AB0A5F8D-B06C-4A93-A3D7-9895D62CB0F5.jpeg
    AB0A5F8D-B06C-4A93-A3D7-9895D62CB0F5.jpeg
    129.2 KB · Views: 152
  • 597AC8CF-B32B-4EEF-9C33-B341F3F70D35.jpeg
    597AC8CF-B32B-4EEF-9C33-B341F3F70D35.jpeg
    400.1 KB · Views: 168
  • 2FB90A3E-8BD9-42D9-90AB-6CBF9143B5C8.jpeg
    2FB90A3E-8BD9-42D9-90AB-6CBF9143B5C8.jpeg
    182.3 KB · Views: 218
  • 18EE0CCC-B2F5-46C2-BA76-CCF069A2E682.jpeg
    18EE0CCC-B2F5-46C2-BA76-CCF069A2E682.jpeg
    441.8 KB · Views: 174
Bought a pair brand new around 1995. Still have them. We have the 'square' version, the 'rounded' one came a couple of years after. The only speaker we've heard since that was tempting was the Avalon Eidolon...my wife wouldn't hear of the Winchesters leaving, still won't. :) Visitors to our home always remark on the sound coming from them..in a good way. I had to replace the foam at the rear port and the 3 stacked tiles in the bottom 5 years ago or so, but other than that they've been flawless.

Bought a pair brand new around 1995. Still have them. We have the 'square' version, the 'rounded' one came a couple of years after. The only speaker we've heard since that was tempting was the Avalon Eidolon...my wife wouldn't hear of the Winchesters leaving, still won't. :) Visitors to our home always remark on the sound coming from them..in a good way. I had to replace the foam at the rear port and the 3 stacked tiles in the bottom 5 years ago or so, but other than that they've been flawless.
Thanks Nick for the valuable information.

The Winchesters are great speakers. It sounds so real. Guess it could really goes deep down 25Hz as claimed. Castle don’t build speakers with frequency response range like these Winchesters anymore. Your wife is correct, I t’s a gem.

Yes, I acquired the Winchesters recently and was browsing for more information on it. There isn’t much available except photos. Some photos of Winchester units were different from what I have. Even Castle themselves didn’t mention much about it.

Now, your info clears my ambiguity as to my unit in the line of Winchesters series.

Thank you again, Nick.
- Richard

Hi, I just spotted this thread on Castle Winchesters and hoped someone could advise?
I bought a pair of Winchesters a couple of years ago, bit scruffy and one crossover looked liked it was replaced but they sounded pretty good.
I listen to a range of music and also do some experimental work with sound resonance and sine waves re old temple acoustics etc.
I bought the speakers as I understood they have a fairly unusual design and thought I could eventually upgrade them with new drivers crossovers foam etc. One of them recently failed (tweeter I think) sooner than I had anticipated so looking for advice on what could be done to bring them back to at least something comparable to their original sound or perhaps improve with good quality parts.
Also wondered if I blew a tweeter with an underpowered amp used at higher volume, I use a recapped/refurbished NAD 216.
I am not that knowledgeable re audio systems just looking for a realistic sound.
Thanks