Case of the speaker killing AMPS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey guys looking for some expert opinions!

Years ago i had a Anthem MRX-500 which developed a popping sound, the unit was warrantied and receieved 16 transistors. The issue was gone. Since then ive been plagued with faint rustling/crackle during drum symbols and/or female vocals, sometimes a chirp or slight pop is heard during similar sounds.

Ive gone through several setups since but there has always been one peice of equipment either speakers,reciever or the Emotiva XPA power amp thats carried to the new generation of upgrade.

Equipment ive used either long term or temporary:
Anthem MRX-500
Emotiva XPA-3 Gen1
Emotiva A-300
Yamaha V365
Denon Avr-x3000
Anthem MRX-720
Anthem STR

Speakers:
Paradigm Monitor 7
Paradigm Studio 60
Paradigm S2
Paradigm Persona 3b

Ive had a plague of warranty repairs to try and fix these issues. Several tweeters and midwoofers replaced and Anthem's in for service. The issue seems to be repaired temporarily until it is affected by either a damaged speaker or amp/reciever.

My question in absolute simple terms is:

Could the intial damage to the Anthem's transistor's damaged the speakers which then inturn damgaged a new amp/receiever and so on and so forth?

It just seems crazy that this issue has followed me through so many different equipment.

Any insight or troubleshooting tips are greatly appreciated, Im armed with a DMM and alot of ambition to solve this headache.

Joined 2011
Not very likely. Maybe you're sensitized to small noises now, and notice them more easily.
If playing very loudly, it could be current limiting circuits, clipping, or speaker physical damage from overload.
Do these noises happen at moderate volumes? Low to medium power amplifiers will clip if pushed hard.
Input circuits can clip, if located before the volume control.

Last edited:
Not very likely. Maybe you're sensitized to small noises now, and notice them more easily.
If playing very loudly, it could be current limiting circuits, clipping, or speaker physical damage from overload.
Do these noises happen at moderate volumes? Low to medium power amplifiers will clip if pushed hard.
Input circuits can clip, if located before the volume control.

I seem to replicate it best on Tidal when playing the 2:57-3:01 part of 'Alexisonfire - The Kennedy Curse'. Listening position is ~10feet at a measured 65db during this part of the song it spikes with a left channel crackle to ~70db. This is on Persona 3b's through a Anthem STR. The personas spent a short time ~15hours playing at low very levels (breaking in) through the Emotiva XPA-3 several months ago. Anthem STR is new.

Ok, just in case it was some weird cable creating instability.

You could try turning off functions eg. Room correction. See if the problem goes away or changes.

Then try swap amplifiers only, and see if the problem follows the amp. Then similarly eliminate other components one at a time.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.