• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cascading gain stages in a tube preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Help anyone? I am looking to scratch build a tube preamp for guitar use. I have found that most 2 tube units come up a little short on the insane gain level so......I was looking at the schematic for my Carvin Quad x and it has 11 stages on it's insane gain channel. That of course is just a mush sound. How do I build something that is a happy medium? I am thinking that 6 gain stages may be the magic number. I have tried every 12a-? tube in my gazzillion rack units. I have used 5751's 5963's etc etc etc but it does seem to me, (in my ignorance of course) that the circuitry is my issue in all of these off the shelf units. So I guess I need to build and just breadboard all the componets and swap around until I find what I am looking for? Suggestions as to where to begin? Simple is better ! In level Out level no tone stack just gain and level ? Help? Is someone willing to talk me through this?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.