• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Cary Cad-300b Se

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Alastair E said:

[...]

(Although when I was young, we had a Pilot radio. It had a type 80 rectifier, I guess about half the ratings of a 5U4G. Its mains transformer failed, so I replaced it with one from a guitar amp. And a large 800uF cap from an old TV set was added, as the set always suffered from mains-hum-It was used every day for breakfast time...

It still works some 30 years later..The type 80 rectifier glows frighteningly 'blue' inside for a second or two after which it settles down to normal....)-It hasnt been used for the last couple of years though-Guess I'll dig it out one of these days and see how it is:rolleyes:

What a nice story! It is this kind of anecdote that makes visiting this forum such a pleasure.

7N7

5R4 tube blows out

My friend reported to me the two 5R4 rectifier tubes are gone after running this Cary 300B just for a week.

Luckily those 5R4 tubes are very cheap but I really don't know what other types of rectifier can be used in this Cary 300B.

Damn,
Johnny

Re: 5R4 tube blows out

kmtang said:
My friend reported to me the two 5R4 rectifier tubes are gone after running this Cary 300B just for a week.

Did you change the input cap on the filter? The 1000uF input cap is 250x larger than the 5r4 is rated for. You might try going back to the 5u4 and adding a resistor from the rectifier to the first cap -- use psud to find a value that works okay. This will ease the load on the rectifier, and drop a few volts for you.

I used to own a Cary cd player and all I can say is they must pay big bucks to the magazines for the sorts of reviews they get.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.