Cartridge sound dull on top.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dear all. I hope you can give me some advise. I have an LP12 Valhalla (outboarded) nicely set up. It has a vey good Ittok and a Karma cartridge. During the time my kids grew up (26 years now) there has been precious little use of the turntable but recently I decided it was time I renewed our vows!
The Karma has had very little use since it was installed by Linn dealer Stilton Audion in 1986. Maybe one of the reasons it has had such little use (other than life getting in the way) is that it may have sounded dull for a lot longer than I remember. And there's the problem: It sounds dull - on the top I am feeling a lack of exciting frequencies (probably 8khz and above). Is this a sign of something wrong with the cart or elsewhere? The rest of my kit is DNM premaplification, MF power amps, Hand-made IPL TL speakers. Thanks for any advice.

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> During the time my kids grew up (26 years now)

I "lost" 8KHz in the same time period. Some ear damage, plus bad genes.

How is it on FM(yuk)? CD? Good digital sources? If this phono does not compare to other sources, with your same ears, then it is the phono. If everything is dull, check your tweeters (the kids may have burned them with their crazy music). This Karma is moving-coil? Then cart loading is not a real issue. (A MM needle with MC loading will sound dull!) I'd wonder if the stylus is damaged, or maybe just gone stale. Bright light and strong magnifier might reveal a problem, but some problems can't be seen.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Cartridge is now 33 years old, lots of cartridges don't fare well over decades. Suspensions harden up in some cases over time and this often affects HF performance and not so infrequently LF as well.

Make sure that the cartridge setup geometry is correct.. (SRA, etc..)

You should make sure it is not the cabling, connections or phono stage though before you replace it.

Many thanks for taking the time, Kevinkr. The Karma was just so lovely and I find it hard to justify a new cartridge to myself. I think you're right, though. Looking closely the cantilever appears to be leaning to one side very slightly. It tracks so well - doesn't miss a thing. All the information's there it just doesn't come near to the CD. I'll check the phono stage and then try a close-up of the diamond. Looks like I might ned to spend a few quid!

Last edited:
A long time ago had a Karma in an Ittok. Definitely not dull.

If there are no suspect electronic devices, the suspension is almost certainly the cause. There is a good chance it may improve after some play time, and perhaps even resting the stylus on a stationary LP for a while can improve the situation.

The good news today is replacing of the suspension is not too difficult and several companies in the UK can do it.

On second thought it is probably worthwhile cleaning all electrical connections. Headshell pins, 5-pin connector at the base of Ittok.

Last edited:
Thanks, absolon. Good suggestion but it was one of the first things I tried. I will get back to the cartridge when I have done some other bits: while examining the t/t once again, I found two other issue that need fixing first and they will likely have an effect on it. Inner platter is not turning as freely as expected: I need to change the bearing oil. Ticking noise: I need to change the thrust cap on my new premotec motor. Then there's the Valahalla update and I also found a fried resistor while looking at the board. What fun!

Joined 2014
Paid Member
The good news is that a few people do rebuilds for the Karma in UK for not silly money and even offer 'upgrades' if you fancy a fancy cantilever on it.

In terms of working out if that is the issue I don't have any Linn MCs but as you aren't far away from me am sure could lend you a known good working cartridge to try out and see. Vinyl doesn't have quite the high end of CD and you may have just got attuned to it.

You're very kind Billshurv. If I/when get to that stage I might take you up on your offer. When I was listening yesterday I played a couple of records. One (acoustic guitar William Ackerman) sounded just fine and was good (enough) on top. Then I played "Fashion" from "Changes" by David Bowie and it seemed lacking in life generally. I only got half way through the track before I was bored. That shouldn't happen! This was when I tried to pay a 12" 45 which I knew to be rather bright and discovered the other problems with the oil and the motor clicking. I will get back once I have done the other bits - they're on order.

Okay, so I have changed the oil. Strange as all the printed wisdom seems to state that the Black housing with White liner should be Black oil. The only one mearked for light (Velocite no.6) oil is the gold housing and white liner but my suspicion is that the white liner is the same material in both. Using the Velocite the platter now runs beautifully. I also carried out the zener upgrade and replaced the fried resistor R33 in the Valhalla. All seems good but some noise from the motor and the valhalla still wouldn't run the turntable at the right speed with the 45rpm adaptor on it! So I checked the output voltage and it is ranging over a period of about 7 or 8 seconds from 83.6 to 85.7 volts. It runs up slowly and the down again at a similar rate then up again... Do you think this board has finally had it?

This variation in voltage dopes not appear right but it will have a nil effect upon the speed. Not sure how Valhalla relates to the 45rpm adaptor.

I would take the board out, feed it from an isolation transformer and start checking things out. HV+, Vdd, waveform at Q1 base, PS caps, etc. It is simple and very fixable.

Last edited:
IMHO, despite the unbridled enthusiasm of many vinyl lovers, getting a vinyl setup to sound any good is really hard. Too many things can and do go wrong. If i had to start today i wouldn't.

In the case of the LP12 a temperamental suspension is also a vital part of the end result. Then there is the mechanical side of the hardware and setting everything up properly. Which includes that light but rigid table, which no Linn can do without. The geometry in 3D, the VTF, the antiskate. And all this time assuming the cart is still ok and the arm bearings are not shot.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.