Car subs for home theatre

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
All you need is a male RCA to two female RCA splitter. I get mine at Radio Shack, is there an equivalent to RS where you are?

A lot of people use Pro Amplifiers for their subs, due to the low cost to high powere ratio.

Can you get Behringer equipment? That seems to be the low cost leader here.

Paul

OK I'm back now and there seems to have been some goings on!

Bjorno, don't scorn Vivek, it looks to me like he just learned new things with the development of the thread and changed his mind accordingly, nothing wrong with that.

Vivek, my amp has not been tested with 2 ohms and as I don't like running very low impedances because of the losses and high currents, I make no attempts to test it so. I suggest you run one amp per box.

As your room will have a small amount of room gain, I would not suggest trying to EQ to 20Hz, but to 30Hz. This will have the advantage of meaning you need less EQ so can play louder.

Will this sub be used for music at all? Do your main speakers already have god bass response?

Hi Richie,
The fronts are a pair of MTMs made with Vifa TC18WG48 and Vifa's D27 fabric domes. I would say the bass is not mind boggling but suits my requirement.

Yes, I intend to use the sub for music sometimes. I have several music DVDs. But the main use is for 5.1 movies.

OK Vivek. What I was thinking is that if your main speakers did not have very deep bass, then you would be better taking the sub feed from the left and right channels not the LFE channel. However, as you are planning on using the sub for music as well then that means using the LFE channel may have poor results for music as it is probably letting too much 80Hz region sound through.

Is your receiver able to redirect the LFE channel to the front left and right?

Is your receiver able to redirect the LFE channel to the front left and right?

Oh yes, it does.

This is what the manual says:

Large setting for subwoofer: Select large when using speakers that can fully reproduce low sounds of below 80Hz.

Small setting for subwoofer: Select this when using speakers that cannot reproduce low sounds of below 80Hz with sufficient volume. When this setting is selected, low frequencies below 80Hz are assigned to the subwoofer.

OK, but if you select large does it actually send the LFE channel to the main speakers? What it seems to do is just if you select small, it takes bass from the fronts to stop them bottoming out and feeds it to the sub to compensate.

I should have been clearer. My idea was to tell the amp you did not have a sub and send the LFE channel to the front left and right. Then you tap into the front left and right with the sub and then you can take advantage of the low-pass filter on the sub being set better to suit your system and room.

Dear friends

Last evening I was free. I came from the office early. So I thought I will do some thing that will be useful for others (I believe, may be wrong).
Even though Vivek is not interested in building bass-reflex speakers, I thought I will design it in a classical way.

I am attaching my work as a PDF document, which I think everybody can understand very easily.

I am planning to make a Matlab model using lumped mass analysis. I think you all will be interested in that.

Since my computer is not installed with Matlab, I may have to wait for one more week.

Regards

Renjish

Attachments

• bass_reflex.pdf
    51 KB · Views: 74
There is an option to select if a subwoofer is present or not but choosing 'no subwoofer' does not really seem to send more bass to the fronts. I think I have to split the single LFE channel into two and feed the two split channels to two separate amps and subs.

Hi friends

It was very disappointing that none of the people had commented on my work. I was expecting some kind of positive or negative commands so I can improve this investigation. The complete investigation is documented including the Matlab code.
There may be some small errors, but this code can be used for future investigation.

The Thiel/Small parameters which are provided by Vivek are used for this investigation.

Thanks and regards

Renjish

Attachments

• bass_reflex.pdf
    73.3 KB · Views: 48
Thank you very much indeed. I have no problems if Vivek is going for a sealed box. There is nothing wrong for a sealed box. It gives a better transient response than a vented box. But I don’t know why Naveen mentioned about turbulence. According to my understanding I already had given enough vent diameter (5.25 inch) that will reduce the wind noise. And the length of the vent has very less effect on turbulence. The only problem is when the length increases there may be quarter wave amplification. But you can see in the circuit diagram that box volume is acting as a capacitor parallel to the output. This will act as a low pass filter. So that effect will also reduce.

I can tell you that this lumped mass approach is very useful and the model will give pretty good approximation at low frequencies to the practical model. I am telling you from my laboratory experience. If anybody is interested I can send my MSc thesis on headphone design which is a comparison of measured and modelled data.

If I am in Vivek’s position, definitely I go for vented enclosure. And I will make my enclosures as stand for my front speakers.

Hi Acenic
I really have no experience with these dedicated programs. When I was doing my Masters in Audio Acoustics from Salford University they supplied a copy of Matlab student edition. We all learned in such way from the basics instead of using a dedicated program. You can do lot of things with Matlab.

I am planning to make a Matlab model for a Voigt pipe. In that model I will rather go both lumped and distributed element analysis. For pipes it is better to go for distributed element modelling.

Thanks and Regards
Renjish

Renjish, I would add that arbitrarily making the vent diameter a fraction of the cone diamater is not the best way. For a start in some instances that could mean an unnecessarily large vent.

The vent diameter is related to two things - tuning frequency and driver displacement (combination of diameter and excursion). So you can see now I hope that you can't simply pick a vent diameter based on cone diameter. For instance what if you use a very high excursion 8 inch driver? Comparing with a low excursion 12 inch driver? They could both displace the same volume, but you would have made the 8 inch drivers vent too small.

As tuning frequency goes down the vent airspeed goes down also, so you can get away with a smaller vent diameter.

I hope this helps and good luck with your studies.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.