car stereo head unit nasty distortion suddenly started happening for no reason

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I dont have a hot air gun. or o-scope. all i have is a DMM and soldering iron.
totally not worth the effort to fix.

I am in the process of bypassing the head unit control PCB (has a fat ribbon connector going to the seperate board with the amplifier chip and stuff on it)

And wiring a aux 3.5mm cable straight to the PCB test pads. there is some marked left/right/ground pins that say L-in and R-in and gnd1 and also a SYS-POWER pin all clearly labeled.
I did a quick test to see if it would turn on by hooking a 10k resistor from +12v to SYS-POWER and it turned on.
when I touched my finger on the L-in and R-in test pads i hear a buzz in the corresponding speakers. i checked if there was any weird voltages coming off those either of those pins from each other or to ground and it was fine in both AC and DC mode. nothing in frequency mode either when checking with my multimeter.
i soldered it all together and soldered a spare aux cord to it to test with a 12v DC 2A power supply to test it with.
i'll test it and see if it works. i might need to get an aux cable that has an in-line volume control if the gain is too high connected directly to my pc.

well it works I tested it at a low 12v but not yet at 14.4v.
I think it could be the amplifier section. because it would do it whenever i set the balance for left and right to be in the center. or to the left. but with it just two clicks to the right it would stop doing the sound completely.

Last edited:
ok confirmed the amp is junk

at 14.4v it does it! with NO display attached at all. completely bypassed ribbon cable unplugged. aux 3.5mm headphone cable soldered directly to the pcb left and right channel inputs with the amp kept on with the SYS-POWER kept high by a 10k resistor

for whatever reason the left channel is affecting the right channel whenever it happens. but if i have my balance on my computer set to the right it outputs clean sound no problems.

it also sounds fine below 13v still. so i dont know whats going on or why it acts so weird.

Last edited:
I have no idea and I have no idea what its supposed to be. it starts sounding bad just a little bit at 12.8v at max volume with a bit of distortion but at 13v it starts getting worse and worse and at 13.5v its fully bad and just gets worse from there. and i get less volume before it goes bad at the higher voltage.
at 12.5v is where i get the most power without it sounding bad.
I dont know what the power supply regulator even is. theres too many super tiny components in the way its super compact.

its not a clipping sound its more like a high pitch noisy screeching/screaming noise.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.