Car Amp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
I am not that electronics literate so bear with me please, but I see all the schematics have usually two parts, the power supply and the actual audio circuit, with the audio ciorcuit marked where the power input goes. So if I was to attain/create a power supply circuit that worked with a 12volt car battery that could feed the voltage and curent required by that amp I could use that same amplifier circuity for a car amp correct?

If so, how hard would it be to feed an amplifier designed for home audio? I will rule out Class A due to their huge power consumption, but say for Class A/B, D etc

It is easy to run any amplifier circuit from a car amp supply of proper voltage/current, but it is very difficult to build a car amp switchmode power supply (to step up from 12V to, say, +/- 42V). Maybe you can get a PSU from an old car amp or something, or be bold and try to build one.

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Well ultimately I will like to build one (PSU). I am building my electrostatic speakers at the moment so for now this idea is just in research for me, but I have always longed to build my own car stereo equipment. Finding schematics seems to be hard though, I found one guy who made some 1500W subwoofer amp, and that looked damn impressive, just no schematics for that amp (not that I could find anyway).

I can see it right now, a nice tube amp glowing. Beats the hell out of neons and all those other tacky car mods of today (the plastic look seems to be in). :)

Thanks however, the whole idea seems a lot more feasible now, the lack of online schematics made it seem impossible.

-Mike

Of course it would be at reduced current, but that is what tube amps use. You would just use a transformer with a 1ct:25 ratio instead of the recommended 1ct:6ct. You would have to wind your own on a ferrite EI core, I expect, I don't know how else you'd get a 300V sec. 5kHz tranformer. :D

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
Ah cool. I have built plenty of subwoofer boxes for friends cars etc, most notable a Cerwin Vega Stroker, 18inch with rosford Fosgate 1100a2 powering it. That was a loud setup :)

This may sound silly aswell, but could the amplifier just run straight from the battery with a voltage multiplier? Is this unstable? Dangerous? Wouldn't work? Because here, they are converting it from DC, to AC, then to DC again.
http://esl.rehorst.com/how_to_esl.htm has the doubler, tripled and quadrupler circuits. It makes logical sense to me, although I am unsure about electronical sense? Is the switching power supply more linear in output? etc.

You can make multipliers with as many stages as you want, but they need an AC input too, I have thought about it in another thread, and come to the conclusion that multipliers are not really the way to go, bad ripple, no isolation, poorer current capability, etc. If you can think of a good multiplier that can run on straight DC, let me know!! It's Nobel Prize worthy!:D

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.