Car amp running off a deep cycle battery = less noise?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Disabled Account
Joined 2005
I've read about the chip amps running off a dedicated sealed lead acid battery and how it eliminates the noise that's caused by the power cords. Does the same apply to car amplifiers? I can purchase a brand new JBL 60x4 (@ 4 ohms) car amp for $65 (retails for $170) and I already have a deep cycle battery I can use with it. I will be running the amp on a pair of NSB line arrays and using an active crossover, hence the reason for needed 4 channels of amplification. Do you guys feel this is a good idea or would I be better off buying a true home audio amplifier, with 4+ channels? Only problem is that will run me a lot more.

Any pros or cons are appreciated. Thanks.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Chaucer,
Car amps have a switching power supply built in and may have poorer S/N ratio. Chances are they will. A pair of good home amps will cost more than $65.00. These are the truths of life.

Why not build a good stereo, and another later once you are happy. Or buy good two channel amps. The better amplifiers have excellent S/N ratios. Costs more but actually does the job you ask of them.

-Chris

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Chaucer,
Is there anything noisier than taking your 12~14 VDC and chopping it up (as in square wave), then rectifying and filtering it again?

A decent power supply will ignore (clean / filter) completely all but the worst AC noise, I'm thinking lightning, power fail or industrial motors.

Will a car amp work? -Yes. Will it sound as good as a good home amp? - No, why would it at those prices??

It really sounds like a budget decision you are making. The cheap car amp is cheaper. And everything else that means.

-Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.