Capacitors What Are The Best

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
CAPACITORS WHAT ARE THE BEST ?
HERE`S A LIST OF MAKES OF CAPACITORS THAT I`VE GOT .
CAN YOU PLEASE RATE THEN IN 1-100%
I`VE PUT SOME VALUES IN THE ONES THAT LISTEN TO IN MY SYSTEM

IF I`VE MISSED SOME OUT PLEASE FEEL FREE TO ADD TO THE LIST . OR EVEN ADD SUB-CATERGORYS (EG. BLACK GATE STD - BLACK GATE NX)

AVX =
BC Components =
BHC AEROVOX =
Black Gate = 99
dubilier =
ELNA = 80
EPCOS =
Forever =
FRANKO =
GenElect =
Hua Lien =
JAMICON = 65
JAPAN = 20
JENSEN =
LCR =
Marcon =
MULTICOMP =
nichion = 50
NIPPON CHEMI CON = 50
Nitai =
PANASONIC = 82
PHILIPS =
RDE =
Rubycon = 70
SAMHWA =
SANYO = 45
SME = 50
TEAPO = 60
Telecon =
Tlec = 70
TOWA =
TruCap =
TSM =
VISHAY =
WIMA =
:)

Joined 2003
Paid Member
Scooby,
There is not such a thing as best capacitor.
Every brand makes a lot of different caps designed for different application.
You could for example state that type X from brand Y will be a good fit in application Z.
You could put a top notch capacitor rated at 85°C near a heat sink of a class A amp and find out that the poor fellow only lasts a few years. It doesn't make it a bad capacitor, it just wasn't designed for that amount of heat.

/Hugo :)

As previous stated - it really depends on the application and design.
But here is what I like so far (beside the ones already mentioned)

CDE (380LX) in power supply - Nice, fast, firm and open sound.
The Russian Teflon caps (K72) 0,1uF as decoupling - Really great cap if used in the right place, One of the best caps and the price is the best part.
Clarity Caps (SA range, if space allows) - as crossover components and as output caps - Crystal clear sound with no tendency to sounding cold and hard..

Hi aarsoe yes theses Claritycap are allot cheaper (and in my price range) than Mundorff caps . When i checked diycable.com i thought i`ve seen these caps before so i checked out my speaker crossovers and there are plus some Mundorff components .

See pic of my Castle Howards S3 crossover .

Attachments

• dscf0058.jpg
    dscf0058.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 1,808
scooby300 said:
Hi aarsoe yes theses Claritycap are allot cheaper (and in my price range) than Mundorff caps . When i checked diycable.com i thought i`ve seen these caps before so i checked out my speaker crossovers and there are plus some Mundorff components .

See pic of my Castle Howards S3 crossover .

you should try some RIFA for sure. I found RIFA caps work very well especially in tube amps, since they provides crystal clear high frequency and very depth sound stage. :apathic:

aarsoe said:

The Russian Teflon caps (K72) 0,1uF as decoupling - Really great cap if used in the right place, One of the best caps and the price is the best part.

Hi,

What application are you using the Russian teflons in? And in which location?

I tried them as coupling caps in a 12au7 preamp and the sound wasn't to my taste. To my ears, they made the music sound small, clinical, and somewhat unemotional, but very smooth, fast, and dynamic.

I haven't tried them as decoupling caps, though. Sounds like they might work better in a decoupling position.

Thanks,
KT

KT

Currently I am using them in both my crossovers (but be carefull with the coils, as the body is magnetic and it does make an impact to the sound if they are in a magnetic field) and also on my power caps in my amp. Both places they have made a dramatic impact.
I can not req. your remarks on small and clinical - in my experience I get a much bigger soundstage, a sense of room information that I have never gotten before (almost as the room is alive and breathing on its own), and a really rock steady image that dont change a lot when moving around.
However - there is one downside to them! They do most to the midrange and high's, which (if your not carefull) could leave your bass sounding a bit slow compared to the rest - but I guess thats down to the size of them, so I am currently making experiences using a several connected together..
But - my experience may not apply to your gear, but if you have some I would recommend giving them another try..

PS. you also have to let them run for at least a couple of days before they really kick in..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.