Capacitor upgrade for Cayin CDT-15A

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi everyone,
I'm planning to upgrade my Cayin CDT-15A Player by replacing its output capacitors. The original capacitors are two RealCaps (a 3.3uF parallels with a 0.1uF). So I'm considering between Mundorf Supreme and Obbligato Gold Premium (both pricing around $20/each of 3.3uF, the Mundorf cost a little more). I also want to know if the paralleled 0.1uF cap can be removed when I replace the 3.3uF cap.
All advices and recommendations are welcome. Thanks!

A parallel capacitor is not a good idea. It will give an oscillation circuit and sound will become worse most of the time.

a
Hi everyone,
I'm planning to upgrade my Cayin CDT-15A Player by replacing its output capacitors. The original capacitors are two RealCaps (a 3.3uF parallels with a 0.1uF). So I'm considering between Mundorf Supreme and Obbligato Gold Premium (both pricing around $20/each of 3.3uF, the Mundorf cost a little more). I also want to know if the paralleled 0.1uF cap can be removed when I replace the 3.3uF cap.
All advices and recommendations are welcome. Thanks!

A parallel capacitor is not a good idea. It will give an oscillation circuit and sound will become worse most of the time.

a

This is absolute nonsense. What you describe is utterly impossible in audio circuitry, and all but maybe microwave rf circuits. I don't know where you got this idea, but it is rubbish.

As to the OP's question, please don't confuse "RealCap" with "RelCap". I was rather amused & disgusted when I first worked on a Cayin piece and saw those "RealCap" caps, so blatantly trying to appear to be RelCap Multicaps. If you replace with actual RelCap Audiocap Theta or Alpha propylenes, finished off with a 0.022-0.1uf RelCap RT styrenes, I don't think you can do much better.

Thank you all,
- From what I heard, the parallel capacitor have at least 2 reasons: to reduce the total resistance and inductance of the caps; to improve the high frequency at which the small capacitance cap works better than the big one. Anyway, with the high grade caps, I think it's not necessary to use a parallel cap at all
- gentlevoice: Thank you for useful link. From what I read there [FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, sans-serif]"Making a capacitor using about 90% Clarity Cap SA and about 10% Mundorf Supreme works very well, this tends to open up the top end just nicely without altering anything else"[/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT][/FONT], I will consider to have a 3.3uF Clarity Cap SA parallels with a 0.1uF Mundorf Supreme (But I still don't know if this is a good idea?). Anyway, if possible to throw away the parallel cap and use only one cap, I think a 3.3uF Mundorf Supreme is a right choice for me.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.