Cap voltage values

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Tantalum capacitors exhibit abnormally high distortion level when DC voltage across them is low. I suppose that DC bias is necessary to maintain the integrity of the oxyde layer at the surface of the anode. User manuals of capacitance bridge meters advise to always charge tantalum capacitors at nominal value before measuring.

Regards, P.Lacombe.

P.Lacombe said:
Tantalum capacitors exhibit abnormally high distortion level when DC voltage across them is low. I suppose that DC bias is necessary to maintain the integrity of the oxyde layer at the surface of the anode.

Thanks for the info, that was news to me. Given the premium you pay for high voltage tantalum caps I have never tried to use a significantly over voltage rated tant. I do like to jump up a step or two voltage rating for electrolytics though to extend operating life.

Phil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.