Can you mod an active subwoofer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello!

I have a H/K HKTS11 and I wonder if there is any easy mod's to make this sub a little quicker?

Alos, since this is an active sub, you should be able to modify the amp. and powerstage? Anyone tried, or does anyone think it's a good idea?

What would you change/mod first?

/Best regards, Mattias

1290462078_resized.jpg

I noticed that there is not much damping wool in the cabinet, how would more damping material affect it?
Maybe. That's easy to test - just throw some old t-shirts or jerseys inside and see what happens. Make sure they don't block the airflow near the port or driver though.
Also, the port tube, could it be modified?
If you turn it into a sealed box by closing the port you should get better transient response, but probably less efficiency, so you may have to change the level or equalization. Some people get good results just by stuffing a sock in the port to damp it.

Btw: you can tune it to a lower frequency by making the port longer. I don't know if that will help but it's something to experiment with if there's space inside the box and you have a piece of cardboard tube that will fit. Just make sure the joint is nicely sealed.

What do you want to do? What does make the bass quicker mean? Do you want more bass? If it's more bass you want I'm sure there's bass adjustment on the back of the sub.

If you want to make the port longer it will change the response to make it louder lower depending on whether the driver will be capable enough so it could be pointless and you just make a larger of the response quieter or less effecient!

Your better just leaving the design alone, although I'm not familiar with this set I'm sure it has been designed to be the best it can be!

Boscoe

Maybe. That's easy to test - just throw some old t-shirts or jerseys inside and see what happens. Make sure they don't block the airflow near the port or driver though.

T-shirts and jerseys will just make the apparant volume smaller. You need proper damping material, pillow stuffing would be better.

Btw: you can tune it to a lower frequency by making the port longer. I don't know if that will help but it's something to experiment with if there's space inside the box and you have a piece of cardboard tube that will fit. Just make sure the joint is nicely sealed.

This worth trying although I agree with Boscoe that it's just as easy to make things worse! At least with a bit of cardboard it won't be a permenant thing.

Tried the socks in the port - it don't get near as low as before, but as expected a little firmer. I don't know if I like it. Easy to turn upp the bass with the volume knob though ;)

thanks for the help. Will try to longen the port and make it narrower - should be a good compromize?

i guess he wants what godfrey said, he wants to get better transient response, and thats often described as "quicker" hahaha

in case of changing the sub from bass reflex to sealed box, we´ll have better transients, less eficiency (volume?power? ) and how will the frecuency response change?

i´m sorry for my english, i don´t speak english very often hahaha :p

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.