Can someone identify a speaker from 1956 ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
The technique of mounting the frame on the concave side of the driver is not all that uncommon. The big Volts use a similar technique, and i have Philips, Lorenz & Dual speakers with the same topology. Bose can't have a patent on these...

dave

Philips

Attachments

• philips-ad1720-invertedbask.jpg
    philips-ad1720-invertedbask.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 461
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
BTW, "Pick Up" in French doesn't mean a truck - for those of you who might be confused. ;) Good English loan word in French. English terms were very popular after WWII.

Generally it was a common term for a record player - the all in one type - with turntable, amp and speaker. So the Ge-Go might have been meant for the limited space inside one of these record players - a "Pick up."

Thanks for posting the photos and the history! Those are cool drivers.

The Volt drivers that have been mentioned before have the basket in front but the magnet on the back.

My parents' first TV was an old Philips it used a flat driver with the basket on the back and the magnet in front. It had an impedance of 800 Ohms and it was driven by a transformerless single-ended tube amplifier.

My brother had one of these compact record players with speakers in the cover. It also used drivers that were built this way for reasons of flatness. They were made by Audax.

Regards

Charles

WOW these are really cool! The voice coil in the front with an Alnico magnet! the nice thing is the heat dissapation. not that these could handle much. but this technic is just becoming in use again. with the motor out front. cool air can get to it and keep the temps down. inside a box even with a cone moving. fresh air doesnt get circulated as well. just the same old hot air moving back and forth and the temps in the box can go up.

The other nice thing is that there is no back structure to impede the rear wave and load the cone. the full cone see's the inside of the box.

These might work well ALA Walsh loading with the back of the cone upward.

Cool old stuff.

Zc

Je crois qu'il faut obligatoirement parler Anglais ici et je ne sais pas sorry. Pour le son. Il manque encore de réglage mais les H.P sont définis et clairs. La charge est bass reflex. Je n'ai pas fait de calcul pour celle-ci. C'est une expérience. Les voix c'est pas encore ça. Les instruments c'est assez probant et meme surprenant parfois !

Traduction machine !

I believe that it is necessarily necessary to speak English here and I do not know sorry. For the sound. He(it) still misses regulation but the H.P is defined and clear. The load(responsibility) is reflex bass. I did not make calculation for this one. It is an experience(experiment). The voices(votes) it is not still that. Instruments it is rather convincing and meme sometimes surprising!

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Translation: Human =)

The sound: It still needs to be tweaked but the speakers are defined and clear. The load is reflex bass. I did not make calculations for this one. It's an experiment. Vocals are still not quite right. Instruments are rather convincing and sometimes even surprising!

ORHTOPHASE constructional details and link to Roger Russell

Ge-Go Orthophase Planar Flat Panel Speaker System (about 600mm by 450mm.

3 Orthophase panels in a baffle board with a matching network LRC cct.

http://www.roger-russell.com/columns/columns.htm
About half way down

Have resoldered/reconnected the (rotted flexible voice coil conductors) three series-connected driver elements. These sound interesting; they must be part of a more expansive system since they don't have much low-mid response, and appear to roll off rapidly above about 10kHz. As they are (partially) bipolar drivers with a large ((close to) 810mm x 580mm x 100mm) infinite) (slightly curved) baffle, they are very responsive to positioning against rear elements.

The piston/flat cone is made from polystyrene (unknown type) of a very stiff form, reinforced by the glued-on, tinned-copper (about 0.1mm thick x 1.5mm by 9 tracks plus perpendicular connectors) voice coil.

If you desire more/better pictures email me with 'Orthophase' in subject line.

It makes quite a good (microphonic) pressure transducer!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.