• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Can someone help me with equivalent/compatible tubes?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2020
Paid Member
Decware offers a transferable warranty if the amp is sent back to their factory and checked out by them. Of course, there is a fee.

My experience with older gear is that there are components which go obsolete and the original manufacturer does not have any replacement parts.

I was able to buy a replacement faceplate for my McIntosh MC2205. Pretty good for an amp that was made in 1975. Decware has been around since about 1998, so I would say for me, the lifetime warranty is good for at least another 20 years.

canonken- my advice would be to buy the Decware SE84XXX, especially if you're new to tube amps and have some efficient speakers. All the tubes used on the amp are available. Some are more costly, but the tubes provided when you buy the amp will last for many years.

Have fun, enjoy the music.

I have the SE84UFO2 on order (going to be a LONG wait, there are about 100 people ahead of me in line!) - so it is coming! I also have a MC275 which is certainly the foundation of what I am listening with, and a 200x2W SS amp. In other words, I have plenty of other things to go back to, the the Decware is for fun.

I have the SE84UFO2 on order (going to be a LONG wait, there are about 100 people ahead of me in line!) - so it is coming!

There's not much to a single ended EL84 amp. Why not just build one? You'll have to wait a few weeks (not months) for some Edcor transformers, but that's better than waiting around forever for someone else to build it.

Something similar to this: A Beginner 6BQ5 SE Amp | audioXpress

jeff

Last edited:
Joined 2020
Paid Member
Don't worry Jeff, I am at the edge of the rabbit hole!

Other than occasional soldering (like some DIY stuff around the house) I have no experience there and would be a bit nervous about 'learning' on a more complex build. I think something like the Amp Camp kit would be a good way to get my feet wet before moving up to something bigger.

Or I could see getting a simple kit like this:

Moreplay Preamplifier kit | Bottlehead

...the amplifier ships with a 5U4 therefore its hard wired to the rectifier base in that tubes pin layout.
pin 2= heater.
pin 4= plate.
pin6=plate.
pin8=heater
Notice NO cathode .
5Y3G-
pin 2=heater.
pin 4=plate.
pin 6=plate.
pin 8=cathode/heater .
Notice the tube base incompatibility?
If the PSU filter input (a capacitor in most cases) is wired to the rectifier's pin #8, both tubes are compatible w.r.t. pinout.
Best regards!

There's not much to a single ended EL84 amp. Why not just build one? You'll have to wait a few weeks (not months) for some Edcor transformers, but that's better than waiting around forever for someone else to build it.

Something similar to this: A Beginner 6BQ5 SE Amp | audioXpress

jeff

That's a very comprehensive website to build an amp. Thanks for sharing!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.