Can I use a 01A in a headphone amp?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This amp was made by modifying a TubelabSE board. The driver is a 5842. I don't know what kind of sound we finally settled on, but he really liked it. When I told him that the 5842 could be replaced with a WE 417, he said that this was a good choice. No other driver tubes were tried.

I don't know how much current that I can pass through a 76, I don't have any.

tubelab.com said:
I have seen a single 5842 put out 500 milliwatts. It has enough gain for a single tube amp. The 01A has a low gain. You can't use it for a single tube amp without a step up transformer for voltage gain. The Rp is listed at 10K ohms. That is at the specified 3 mA. I believe that the Rp is a bit lower at higher current.

I had problems with gain in designing my latest amp, 8.25x*3x, and I "solved" it with TVCs. Wired as stepups (switchable) they provide 4x gain, but also presents a more difficult load to the source as a result.. however, this is only at the very highest volume settings wich I use rarely, at normal levels it steps down instead. I haven't had the chance to get too aquainted with it yet, but my guess is it will be a bit thinner sounding with weak sources at the highest volume settings, potentially also loose HF to parasitic capacitances in the driver tube if driving currents are low..

Edit: typos

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.