• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Can I solder flying leads into a DIL plug?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Umm, well now I've built the board and discovered that the rows of pins are too close together for my DIL sockets anyway. Doh!

So, I will solder direct to the board. Callme a dumb *** but I like to see th valves, so given this is there any reason not to use glass fibre insulating stocking on the leads so I can keep them long to get them above my (ex stock) somewhat oversize foo audio capacitors...

For those of a sensitive disposition the valves will also be uncomfortably close to various regular electrolytics on the board if I keep the leads short. 😁

Thanks mate, I'm enjoying the build, it's a really straightforward nicely thought out board, so thank you ��

One quick question to you or Koifarm if you would be so kind:
I have four valves, and seven sections are very closely matched, the eighth not so close. Where should I position that section in the circuit for least impact?

Thanks mate, I'm enjoying the build, it's a really straightforward nicely thought out board, so thank you ��
All the thanks should go to Koifarm, who supplied the scheme, and flancfuster, who did the layout. All I did was to ask for the gerbers and order more PCB´s than I needed. The surplus went to you guys :)

I hope Koifarm will agree with me, that the best place would be before the output. Twist the tube so the "not matching" sector will be the cathode (output) follower (V2b).
The reason: Cathode follower lowers the output impedance and only has gain of 1 (or a little less) = least or no impact :)

Last edited:
All the thanks should go to Koifarm, who supplied the scheme, and flancfuster, who did the layout. All I did was to ask for the gerbers and order more PCB´s than I needed. The surplus went to you guys :)

I hope Koifarm will agree with me, that the best place would be before the output. Twist the tube so the "not matching" sector will be the cathode (output) follower (V2b).
The reason: Cathode follower lowers the output impedance and only has gain of 1 (or a little less) = least or no impact :)

Thats what i also would do.
Please use Mini-me thread for this kind of questions. Then other builders can also share this experiences.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.