Can I make some.junk speakers sound little less horrible?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hopefully I'm not repeating anything here. I think the enclosure is more of a problem than the driver. Not sure that sealing the port tightly is the answer. If you are able to stuff the port with rockwool insulation, you may reap the benefits of the port and lose the boomy, boxy, plasticky sound. If that isn't enough, push the insulation inside the enclosure and put more in the port. Repeat to meet your taste.

Hopefully I'm not repeating anything here. I think the enclosure is more of a problem than the driver. Not sure that sealing the port tightly is the answer. If you are able to stuff the port with rockwool insulation, you may reap the benefits of the port and lose the boomy, boxy, plasticky sound. If that isn't enough, push the insulation inside the enclosure and put more in the post. Repeat to meet your taste.

Thanks!!! :wave2:

You're probably looking at similiar performace with the 5¼" sealed in the enclosure or the 6½" directly in the doors. I like the idea of door speakers being enclosed, separated from the weather a bit. Most all of the 5¼" I put into factory door enclosures had much better midbass performance than the same speakers in open door installations- I did a lot of them way back when.

You already have both? Unless the Hertz are far superior, I'd put them in the back and
put the boxed DLS up front with my ears.

Thank you so much Tsmith!:)

If you're unsure of the quality of the sound from the head unit, disconnect the original speaker that you intend to replace and connect it to a reasonably good quality, full range, home speaker. If you don't have any, decent ones are often available in thrift/charity shops for very little money. If nothing else, you will be able to see what's reaching the speakers and know what you can expect from any replacement.

Do not work, changing the wiring to the speakers, with the head unit powered up and insulate all connections (from each other and ground) before powering the head unit up. One slip could result in (expensive) damage to the head unit's amplifier.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.