can I how can I beat what I just heard at Tweeter Audio

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I just went to tweeter and heard a polk LSi25 $2500 floorstanding speakesr. and some R50 ($650/pr). well I liked them a lot. very clean sound. although I did not listen to much. their the best sounding speakers I've heard. I could hardly even tell the difference between the R50 and LSi.

http://polkaudio.com/home/products.php?category=3

I was hoping someone new which speakers out their can match these up. my first guess would be the zaph L18/vifa MT. but can his cheaper designs match it. how close does the 3" full range come. (not joking).

thanks.

btw. I'm new to home audio, I was into car audio, but home seems to offer more rewards and is cheaper.

thanks for the suggestions. I've seen those before. but I didn't know MTM's (might have) sounded so good till yesterday.

I'd also like to know how zaph's L18/d27 might measure up to this. those seem a little less expensive, but I'm also just curious. also is the tweeter what takes the second MTM past the first posted. since thats the only difference, and the crossover.

Actually later on in that thread, the designer models a version of the Modula with the Dayton tweeter, it wasn't available when he started. Below you'll find a link to a comparison of the two (actually 3) designs by the Modula's designer, I think it's a pretty fair assessment. I have used that style crossover in other designs using RS series drivers with great success.

Designer's Comparison

cool, I see.

also I mistook the first mtm as being the better at first. I was looking at the dayton tweeter thinking it was better than the seas one. plus the dayton is more expensive. it turns out the crossover is what takes the price up a notch.

another question. besides lower power to get louder and more bass. what advantage does an MTM have over a MT. imaging?

I'm pretty far from a flamer.

I was looking for reviews yersterday and found out about the fry's thing. thanks though.

I"ll go listen to them again and compare them to the higher up speakers.

I found that the higher polk use a tweeter that is used widely in DIY. the vifa xt25. So it might be a good representation for what one of these DIY speakers might sound like, or close. then I can compare to the R50 and see if "I" notice a difference. and how big.

interesting. the krell and polk lsi series use the same tweeter. so I can atleast listen to the tweeter. I can use it to weight in on the reviews I read. that tweeter seems to be used all over the place. I wonder how It measures up to the MTM posted above's tweeter.

that tweeter seems to be used all over the place. I wonder how It measures up to the MTM posted above's tweeter.

This fellow has done some pretty elaborate distortion tests on both those tweeters. That doesn't really tell you what they sound like, unfortunately. I have heard the XT25 and it sounds great unless it's crossed over too low or too shallowly. I haven't personally heard the RS28, but the general consensus is very positive.

Mark K Distortion Tests

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.