Can i boost the output of TDA7490 ( Class D ) with power mosfets ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
No (the short version of a reply).

More elaborate: You can in theory put a non-inverting push-pull stage at the output but, as a MOSFET requires more gate voltage than it can saturate drain-source, you will not be able to saturate the external power FETs at that supply voltage. Also, you will have problems with shoot-through from one external power FET turning off slower than the other external power FET turning ON. If you chose an inverting push-pull stage, you can overcome the saturation issue but you need to construct a whole new driver circuit.
For class D it is not as straight forward as for class AB.

Désolé.

Last edited:
No (the short version of a reply).

More elaborate: You can in theory put a non-inverting push-pull stage at the output but, as a MOSFET requires more gate voltage than it can saturate drain-source, you will not be able to saturate the external power FETs at that supply voltage. Also, you will have problems with shoot-through from one external power FET turning off slower than the other external power FET turning ON. If you chose an inverting push-pull stage, you can overcome the saturation issue but you need to construct a whole new driver circuit.
For class D it is not as straight forward as for class AB.

Désolé.
Thanks for your reply , i want to cobstruct a high power amp class D with 3k or 2k output power, so which easier using a class D IC and a driver circuit , or construct the whole circuit using 555, Comparator and other components ?

The Si824x, as proposed by abraxalito, is a good candidate if you want several KW. Be aware that starting a project for a high performance amplifier is easy but very few will be able to arrive successfully at the end. The voltages are high, the currents very high and you cannot just rely on an ordinary PCB layout. On top of that, you may have to construct a power supply with even higher power and this may be even more difficult. You will need very reliable protection circuits with that kind of power.
My advise, wait until you have successfully constructed a complete amplifier with some 2x400-500W. If you chose to go on, good luck and be careful.

Last edited:
For what type of application do you (think you) need that much power?

For Driving about 10 Horn driver unit , i will make 2 channels the first one for this purpose and the another one for driving abourlt 8-10 speakers , i'm an elecrerical engineering student and i've searched for a power amp project and found out that Class D amps has a very high efficiency so i decided to choosd it

I have no experience with KW amplifiers. A quick glance at the schematic leaves me with the impression of an amplifier designed with elements I have seen before used in high power amplifiers.
Whether it works well in reality I cannot tell. If you really want to make a 2-3KW amplifier, you are most likely better off using a schematic that is known than trying to design one yourself. Even use of this design may not just be trivial. The voltages will be dangerously high, the current at a level that allow for no mistakes, the power loss in each channel in the order of 300-350W such that very good cooling is mandatory. The energy in the power supply will be enough to cause serious damage in case of a failure.
If you decide to go on, be careful!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.