• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Can be there real difference in cables?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, I have tested what difference can make a silverized copper wire instead of the normal one. Ive got this from a radio flea market for a really good price.
I have tested it in: speaker cables, interconnects (both braided) and I also tried replacing some most important places with this wire, like from my AD1865 DAC chip to grid of 6N2P... in my DC coupled amp betwen the stages, etc..
Every time I tested this wire in my system I got the following differences:
Mids and highs were better with more space.
But bass was worse - they were a lot less bass energy! Really, not kidding. Do you think this is even possible, or it can be some of my deductions? in my mind?

My system: AD1865 with R conversion - silverized wire - grid of 6N2P - dc coupled to 6n6p cathode follower - normal interconnects - E88CC srpp directly driving a pair of 4P1L in SE (silverized wire between stages) - silverized speaker wires - 2 way open baffle with alnico fullranges.
Anybody tried this, what results you have got?
Thank you for your opinions.
P.s. I really DONT WANT to make some flames - this is only my subjective experience which can be affected with some sort of things.
Best regards, Michal

Convince me you weren't just detecting changes in your room acoustics due to some other factors... Perceived frequency response with loudspeakers is chiefly a function of room acoustics, speaker position, head position, etc.
Well, Ive found the best listening position in which I listen most of the time. The speaker placement can be a variable, Ive found the best position for them but I cant control that this is everythime the same centimetres...
anyway, Ive tested this 3 times, independently (first speaker cables, then intesconnects - now I have regular ones, and now the hookup wiring), and all 3 times I have got these results.

Hello Michal,
Besides what Mark said,
I would be curious about the way you perform the comparison.
I also do not want to make flames!!
I try all kinds of comparisons with my own method, and I am curious to see what others do. Hope that this doesn't turn into "flames about methodology"...

My method is to try to switch A/B in "real time" - more or less blind, and after very careful level-matching;
but then I never know if my A/B switchers are really really neutral...
very time consuming to swap the DUTs on A and B to be sure it's no the switcher that "flattens" everything and makes it undistinguishable...
etc etc.

My experience this far is that by the time you disconnect and re-connect the devices-under-test (so "not real time switch") the memory of what you had heard has kind of vanished - differences are always mch smaller when compared "real time".

_

Last edited:
In my opinion, in a non feedback amp, the choice of components does affect the "sound" .
My experience is that silver plated copper wire does give a somewhat harsh sound in the highs so I don't use it anymore .
On the other hand, silver plated wire could be useful to compensate for certain shortcomings but I rather like to get it right with copper wire .

It all depends on what you like best and what your setup is .

To compare I usually make the changes on one channel and leave the other untouched

Some qualities of a system are revealed even in mono, but others are not, not even hinted at. If you normally listen in stereo all your testing should also be done in stereo. It is the directional perception of sound which makes human hearing special.

This goes back to aural memory and how essential it is to develop it.

In my opinion, in a non feedback amp, the choice of components does affect the "sound" .
My experience is that silver plated copper wire does give a somewhat harsh sound in the highs so I don't use it anymore .
On the other hand, silver plated wire could be useful to compensate for certain shortcomings but I rather like to get it right with copper wire .

It all depends on what you like best and what your setup is .

The choice of components matters in feedback systems as well. Cables in the end couple one or more systems together. The distortion in the output is the sum of all distortions of all systems.

The differences in cables are very VERY small if audible at all, but only if you design your circuitry right! RF-shielding and triboelectric effects are the only parameters that alter the signal going through the cable. However if your amplifier has a very nonlinear inputstage or poor CMRR, this will become much more audible.

Old problems with XLR cables where that people connect the shield to the audio ground and thus let the RF current, that you are trying to shield from, flow through your audio. Yet they were surprised when they got hum.

With a method like this you will never develop the only important ability for an audiophile: aural memory.

Thanks!
I'll try to work on this, certainly a direction for improvement.
For sure I "remember" very well how much any non-recorded music sounds better ...

( Nevertheless: shouldn't the "alleged differences" also be perceptible when compared "real time" ? )

_

Status
Not open for further replies.