Cambridge Audio AXA35

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Found a photo of the insides. Looks like power amp wise, you're getting two LM3886 or similar chipamps and 4400 + 4400 µF of capacitance on the rails (which explains the so-so power bandwidth). The circuitry seems to be using all through-hole parts, so servicing should not be a major issue in case something does go wrong. Apart from that it seems to be rather pedestrian bread and butter tech.

The only distortion spec you get is at 80% of nominal output power, i.e. 2x 28 W / 8 ohms. That is poor form. Even then, 0.15% 20-20k isn't much to write home about - the designer may not even have studied tomchr's Taming the LM3886 Chip Amplifier. Who knows who even did this.

Oh I'm sure the marketing droids are responsible for the published specs - it might actually be better in reality, but its the budget line, mustn't look too good if you want to sell the more expensive models.

I can hear 0.15% of 3rd harmonic with a 100Hz fundamental, and my hearings nothing special, nor as good as when I was younger, 0.15% is definitely pretty lacklustre.

Never heard having an IC amp as "without transistors" before, "without discretes" would have made more sense to me. One thing an LM3886 is full of is transistors!

Oh I'm sure the marketing droids are responsible for the published specs - it might actually be better in reality, but its the budget line, mustn't look too good if you want to sell the more expensive models.

I can hear 0.15% of 3rd harmonic with a 100Hz fundamental, and my hearings nothing special, nor as good as when I was younger, 0.15% is definitely pretty lacklustre.

Never heard having an IC amp as "without transistors" before, "without discretes" would have made more sense to me. One thing an LM3886 is full of is transistors!

OK, this is a budget line, without discretes tranzistors. But the price in Czech about 300 GBP, the same as entry level Marantz, Denon, Onkyo without IC.

Nothing wrong with LM3886 , low power amp with all the protections built in, the distortions mentioned here are a little bit high for an LM3886 but I guess the Cambridge people used the worst case scenario numbers , just like for the output power, the LM3886 can deliver more power than the published one.

What is your budget? if i read that "list" of best of amplifiers in What hifi and you believe this or lets say you want to go in this direction = without build a DIY amp then my proposal is the Marantz PM6005. actually at amazon about 227 euro. its not always a must to have the lates version.
i had the new PM6006 at home and compare it with my DIY amps.nice sound , very good craftman ship, remote control, DAC inside and that about 340 euro.

chris

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.