Calling Johan - Seas L26 + L18/L15 + 27TBFCG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here's a conceptual picture of what they might end up like. Driver positions on baffle have not changed (dimensions as per above). I will put on SketchUp drawing in due course.

Attachments

• dt seas 3 way enclosure - v2 - front.jpg
    dt seas 3 way enclosure - v2 - front.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 488
Talk about a thread dredge. It's ok I suppose when it is my dormant project.
It's been nearly ten years since the concept... time I actually built something.

First a test baffle made from scrap. Will cut / assemble the rest of the enclosure tomorrow for the all important in cabinet frequency response measurements. Will be interesting to see how out my simulations were.

Attachments

• IMG_20171230_212316900.jpg
    IMG_20171230_212316900.jpg
    354.1 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_20171230_211847760.jpg
    IMG_20171230_211847760.jpg
    341.8 KB · Views: 198
Here's actual measurements applied to my simulated x-over with a few component value tweaks. I used Jeff Bagby and Charlie Laub's FRD blender so I could use the nearfield of the L!5 and L26. I got good gated measurements outside

Attachments

• xover using blended frd with tweaks.png
    xover using blended frd with tweaks.png
    27.6 KB · Views: 138
  • xover on-axis FR using blended frd with tweaks.png
    xover on-axis FR using blended frd with tweaks.png
    60 KB · Views: 61
Hi Dave,
Nice design - yes definately a bit reminiscent of a JBL 250Ti.
OK 2.4 ohm dip - that will be the 300uf in your bass filter for sure.
I built quite a few 3-ways using a similar 3rd filter on the bass driver & the max I could go on that cap was 150 uf otherwise I got a too low impedance dip.
Hey that looks like a tipical Wellington sky in your measurement photo.
I’m ex Wanganui.
Cheers & good luck with the design.
Clay

Hi Dave,
Nice design - yes definately a bit reminiscent of a JBL 250Ti.
OK 2.4 ohm dip - that will be the 300uf in your bass filter for sure.
I built quite a few 3-ways using a similar 3rd filter on the bass driver & the max I could go on that cap was 150 uf otherwise I got a too low impedance dip.
Hey that looks like a tipical Wellington sky in your measurement photo.
I’m ex Wanganui.
Cheers & good luck with the design.
Clay

Thanks - yes - a calm day here for once. Suitable for measuring :)

Modifications made. 3.2 Ohm minimum I can (and hopefully my amp) live with.

I've tested this with nearfield and farfield gated HBT extracted and driver offset measurements.... plus also just farfield using actual SW phase. Both give identical xover summation. my in room response shows the appropriate amount of BSC has been applied to, to the L15. I ideally would measure off-axis responses too. then the only thing would be to make crossover alterations so I can get a more uniform power response, rather than perfect on-axis.

Attachments

• Crossover - final.png
    Crossover - final.png
    24.6 KB · Views: 201
  • FR on-axis - final.png
    FR on-axis - final.png
    71.5 KB · Views: 201
  • FR on-axis reverse null.png
    FR on-axis reverse null.png
    74.8 KB · Views: 202
  • Impedance - final.png
    Impedance - final.png
    31.8 KB · Views: 187
L15 vs W15 ?

G'day fella.

Yes. The red line is where the W15 is less sensitive and green = more sensitive.

Offline I've had a few PMs with a guy doing a W26/W15 design so was commenting on W15/L15 on-axis differences that would influence crossover adjustments but not fundamental changes to topology.

PS: I was doing more listening last night for previously forward / bright recordings. Good news is Brubeck sounds much better with a FLAC source. I must see what rip / encoding I was using before that cause me to hate it.

Daniel - latest xo, on-axis and impedance simulation. Actuals measure closely to my "hacked up" crossover (due to missing some component values needed). 2nd attachment is on-axis simulated (blue) and measured (red). I have more L15 notch breakup options to try / apply. Will post back

Attachments

• LR2 and LR4 - 20180920.png
    LR2 and LR4 - 20180920.png
    96.1 KB · Views: 56
  • Suboptimal xo - Overall in phase sim vs actual.png
    Suboptimal xo - Overall in phase sim vs actual.png
    28.4 KB · Views: 47
Daniel - latest xo, on-axis and impedance simulation. Actuals measure closely to my "hacked up" crossover (due to missing some component values needed). 2nd attachment is on-axis simulated (blue) and measured (red). I have more L15 notch breakup options to try / apply. Will post back

Thanks Dave! I'm gonna fab up a cabinet the same as yours and do in cabinet measurements, I'm rubbish at sims. I have enough crossover parts for any imaginable crossover.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.