Cadsoft Eagle PCB tutorial thread discussion.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I think i have all possible lib. downloaded. None has footprint for screw terminal fitted caps. Such footprints wolud really be nice for making PSU boards. The studs on capacitors are so tall tha a 220 diode fits under it. Boards can then be made more compact.
I also find the resistor footprints in the RCL lib a little bit problematic as the pads are almost too smal for good soldering, considering leadfree solder.

cheers Michael

So much for not posting questions and not discussing their answers inside the thread. ;)

I would like to second the recommendation of CadSoft's PDF manual (english, german) and tutorial (english, german)!

According to Nordic's rules I offer myself as PM-able for questions to be answered, too. I am by no means an expert, but a decade-long Eagle user on many platforms in many versions - Windows, Linux, MacOS.

Cheers,
Sebastian.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2005
MiiB said:
I have a question for footprints for screw teerminal capacitors.
does such a library exist.

Even if one does, why not just make your own? You'll be making new footprints for all of your parts once you learn how to do it. At least I did ;)

sek said:
... I offer myself as PM-able for questions to be answered, too.

Feel free to send any eagle related questions my way as well. I use the free version on mac os x, but it's basically the same across all platforms.

Hi MiiB,

MiiB said:
I have a question for footprints for screw teerminal capacitors.
does such a library exist.

In case you don't find any suitable library, use the supplied libraries as a starting point and use Eagle's "Library Editor" to suit your needs. ;)

A quick approach could be to choose a suitable cap out of the RCL library and open it in Eagle's library editor (just open "Libraries"->rcl.lbr via the contextual menu in Eagle's control panel).

You'll see three modes in the library editor's tool bar: "Device", "Package" and "Symbol". What you will want to do is create a duplicate of the "package" you see fits (by selecting and copying the original package drawing, pasting it into a new empty package sheet, replacing the original holes with larger ones and a screw symbol), then create a new "device" and join the old "symbol" (because in the schematic it will still be a capacitor symbol) with your new "package" (because Eagle needs to know the drawings for both the schematic and the board view).

The aforementioned tutorial explains all of it step by step.

Just remember to move your version of your libraries in an independent directory to preserve it during future software updates (an important thing, really)!!!

Cheers,
Sebastian.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.