Cables - measurement and listening

Status
Not open for further replies.

Attachments

• Cable Arrows.jpg
    Cable Arrows.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 154
First thing that stuck out to me in the Iconoclast "SPEAKER CABLE DESIGN BRIEF" was the choice of 1.5Ohm speaker wire resistance.

That is freakin 500' of 12awg speaker wire! WTF is anyone doing running a 500' run of speaker wire?

A run of 20' would only yield 60miliOhm resistance.

Just more smoke and mirrors as far as I'm concerned.

I'm wondering how he is getting away with using the Belden name in his BS.

Belden has their own speaker wire:

https://catalog.belden.com/techdata/EN/5000UE_techdata.pdf

Even for high power applications:

https://info.belden.com/hubfs/resou...-speaker-cable-product-bulletin.pdf?hsLang=en

You mis-interpret.
I do not care if you think it is audible or not.

However, I have provided the engineering aspects to the cable inductance and capacitance, how to change the numbers as they apply to the energy delivered to the load, as well as controlled, simple, and sensitive audibility tests to determine if what was done has any affect on the sound.

Providing detailed understandings is not the same as "no point in trying".

jn

Fair enough … Just saying a few simple tricks of lowering C or L probably won't make an audible difference.

That is why the simple audibility test.
Jn

That would be true based on the assumption that cables do make an audible difference.

There was a post in thread about a blind test in which people could not tell the difference between coat hangers and Nordost cables. So if there is no difference between a coat hangers and a high end Nordost cable, then based on that study, it's hard to imagine a change of R,L, or C on the same cable would make a difference, IMO.

That would be true based on the assumption that cables do make an audible difference?
No. My audibility test does not care about any assumptions.

It only cares about an assymetrical response to a cable change. If no detection, nothing to see. If a change, then something to look at.

You must understand, this is not rocket science.

Ps. I do not rely on anecdotes. What I do for a living is far more exacting

Jn

No. My audibility test does not care about any assumptions.

It only cares about an assymetrical response to a cable change. If no detection, nothing to see. If a change, then something to look at.

I suppose one has to make an assumption that cables make an audible difference otherwise there would be no need to investigate. Unless what you're saying is what you're investigating is exactly that, that is if changes to RLC would make an audible difference? That is you're investigating without any bias.

You must understand, this is not rocket science.

Some people has accused that cable science is but a snake oil science which is far from rocket science. I only repeat what other said.

For example, Crystal cable absolute dream costs about $25K per pair. Hm... what type of cable that cost that much? Is it real science or just snake oil?
Crystal Cable's CrystalSpeak Absolute Dream with Splitters (Pair)

Ps. I do not rely on anecdotes.
Jn

I only repeat a "blind test" that was posted previously in this thread.

Last edited:
I suppose one has to make an assumption that cables make an audible difference otherwise there would be no need to investigate. Unless what you're saying is what you're investigating is exactly that, that is if changes to RLC would make an audible difference? That is you're investigating without any bias.

Some people has accused that cable science is but a snake oil science which is far from rocket science. I only repeat what other said.

For example, Crystal cable absolute dream costs about $25K per pair. Hm... what type of cable that cost that much? Is it real science or just snake oil?
Crystal Cable's CrystalSpeak Absolute Dream with Splitters (Pair)

I only repeat a "blind test" that was posted previously in this thread.
Investigation does not require an assumption.

I prefer testable hypothesis.

Any cable LC can be duplicated trivially at low cost.

I have no skin in the cable game.

Jn

It is worth noting that the stuff used to colour the wire may have an effect on the sound. Black for instance often has carbon in it to make it black for instance.
Yes, and the provenance and purity of the carbon is highly variable, both are key and cause variation and 'house sounds' of vinyl IME.
Acoustic Sounds/Clarity Records delete the carbon black for reasons/theories they give.
There are many organic and inorganic pigments along with fillers, plasticisers and other agents used in pvc insulation, each will have an effect on electrical and magnetic properties of wire and cable assemblies.

Dan.

Status
Not open for further replies.