Cables - measurement and listening

Status
Not open for further replies.
For me it is very simple. 3 rules for good cables

1) You should MINIMIZE the capacity between the two wires toward 0 pF.
2) There is lot of contacts outside and hiden INSIDE the jack or the CINCH socket You should destroy them.
3) Whithout work no outcome 99% of people don't work, they make false theory: it's easy. When you work you see the outcome of your work: Here is the TRUE. Take your iron and MAKE your cable.
DIY is the best school of the world. Book = 1 DIY = 10

The cost of very god DIY câble is about 5$, no apologetic
The improvement is HUGE
But you should WORK not talk

Perhaps you missed "ultrafine "black ferrite" ".
AFAIK ferrites are magnetic, so with ferrite powder used at colourant levels of 3% or so in the mix there ought to be some magnetic behaviour.

Dan.
No, I did not.

At the field levels and accuracies we require, any magnetic material at all will ruin the measurements.

We are so precise that a slight scratch on a non magnetic stainless surface will ruin the field measurements.
ANY material with a permeability other than 1 is not useable.
Nobody ever finds that any black colored insulation with anything other than free space permeability. Never.

As to your logical construct... You began that long drawn out construct with the word "IF". Not facts, just "IF".

IF I flap my arms after I fall out of a plane, I may fly.

You've constructed a totally bogus set of assumptions based on something that has absolutely no factual basis.

As one who makes a living absolutely worrying about material permeability, permittivity, TCE, heat capacity, modulus, electrical conductivity, thermal conductivity, from room temp to absolute zero, I sit back and chuckle whenever someone puts together a totally artificial logical construct that "everything matters", when the first word in their logical construct is "IF".

You have claimed a specific entity, something not seen in any scientific endeavor from gravity waves to particle physics accelerators. YOU need to provide evidence, we are not here to prove a negative.

jn

Let's break for some more humour!

Attachments

• Differences.gif
    Differences.gif
    122.4 KB · Views: 156
At the field levels and accuracies we require, any magnetic material at all will ruin the measurements.
MANGANESE FERRITE BLACK SPINEL (PBK26) APPLICATIONS:
Plastics: Polyolefins, PS, ABS, engineering polymers, PVC, silicones and rubber.
Presumably cable insulation PVC containing 3% or so of this ferrite powder as colourant would have some degree of paramagnetic or ferromagnetic properties ???.

Dan.

Perhaps you missed "ultrafine "black ferrite" ".
AFAIK ferrites are magnetic, so with ferrite powder used at colourant levels of 3% or so in the mix there ought to be some magnetic behaviour.

Dan.
Doubt there is any, at least in standard use.

They belong to the group of ferrites, which is ample, but clearly are chosen by colour, not magnetic properties.

Read all about *pigment use* Black Ferrites
Manganese Ferrite Black Spinel (PBk26)
the kind I mentioned and which my plastics injector shop uses, mainly to make parts uniform colour, otherwise new plastic looks like rice grains, and has whitish translucent colour, while recycled plastic can be anything but most often greysh .
Black ferrite turns everything nice even black.

Not surprisingly, look at the end use example for their product:

manganese-ferrite-black-spinel-pbk26.jpg

Black Ferrites are versatile:

Iron Manganese Black Oxide (PBk33)

Pigment Black 33 (C.I.77537) is a black Manganese Ferrite with chemical formula MnFe2O4 and a hematite structure. It provides brownish to bluish black shade.

Ferro PBk33 provides ease of dispersion with excellent dimensional stability resulting in no warping or shrinkage. It can be used when neither Carbon Black nor Black Iron Oxide can be used for technical reasons.

IRON MANGANESE BLACK OXIDE (PBK33) APPLICATIONS:

Plastics: Polyolefins, PS, ABS, engineering polymers, PVC, silicones and rubber
Coatings: Liquid architectural and industrial, powder, coil, stoving and high temperature resistant coatings
Industrial: Cement, concrete, ceramics and glass

Even obviously food grade black Bentoo trays are coloured with Black ferrite :eek:

iron-manganese-black-oxide-pbk33.jpg

Again, no. It is not powdered ferrite. It is a compound made of three elements.

We all know that chlorine is a very bad thing right? Therefore, anything with chlorine in it must be bad.

You do understand that non magnetic stainless steel can have iron in it.
The devil is in the details Dan. A link to a magnetic sounding compound is not proof of anything.

Jn

Especially if those details are audible. Otherwise they are irrelevant, like cable related phase shifts, e.g.

Nice try, but i have ta give you a '"D" for follow through , both on your red herring test attempt, as well as understanding of what was discussed.

It will be a good day when you actually learn what was discussed. As luck would have it, I personally do not care if you understand it or not, as it is certainly not my loss.

I will however give you kudus for your ITD test files, good to see you put effort into it.

Jn

Ignorance is bliss. No kidding. I never felt content from my system having been able to hear the issues. It truly is difficult to avoid the situation pictured on post #258. Pray you won't be able to hear any difference even when you try really hard. :D

I sure dodged a bullet! Those moulton labs CDs would have been just the start of spending huge amounts on "high-end" silver-plated, Teflon-insulated "interconnects."

Again, no. It is not powdered ferrite. It is a compound made of three elements.
You do understand that non magnetic stainless steel can have iron in it.
The devil is in the details Dan. A link to a magnetic sounding compound is not proof of anything.
Thanks.

JN, I observe black or white IEC cables causing difference in system sound, I observe AC extension cables causing difference in system sound, I also observe that removing the black outside sheath (skinning) of my interconnects changes system sound.

So if the cause is pigments, or fillers or anti-fungal/anti-uv etc compounds there must be a deeper reason, superparamagnetism is one property of MnFe2O4, is this of effect at room temp ?.

If somebody could audio frequencies fine measure capacitor connection parameters of a short length of RG59 cable with and without external sheath that might be interesting and useful ?.

Dan.

Thanks.
JN, I observe black or white IEC cables causing difference in system sound, I observe AC extension cables causing difference in system sound, I also observe that removing the black outside sheath (skinning) of my interconnects changes system sound.
So if the cause is pigments, or fillers or anti-fungal/anti-uv etc compounds there must be a deeper reason, superparamagnetism is one property of MnFe2O4,
is this of effect at room temp ?.

If somebody could audio frequencies fine measure capacitor connection parameters of a short length of RG59 cable with and without external sheath that might be interesting and useful ?.

Dan.
Really??? Superparamagnetism???
8 syllables and you expect me to follow???:eek:;)

While you claim the ability to hear amazingly obscure things, I see no evidence.

So again, the great big "If"

Impress me with facts, not personal anecdotes used to support your personal POV.

I must admit, it is interesting having dialog with proponents of "I hear it and provide some obscure illogical tidbit as to why", as well as others who provide test evidence that is amazingly off the mark.

The old saying is that when you present to the public, assume they are 13 years old and you can't go wrong.....At first, I did not believe it. I learned otherwise..and have the bruises to prove it..

Remembering that phrase, I am prepared for the range I meet. At work, and on forum.

Jn

Last edited:
I observe black or white IEC cables causing difference in system sound, I observe AC extension cables causing difference in system sound, I also observe that removing the black outside sheath (skinning) of my interconnects changes system sound.
I´m not sure somebody else present at the experiment will observe the same.
Not sure if you stand with your back towards cables being switched, or in your front but behind a curtain or no curtain but in the absolute dark you can detect them with better than statistical probability for random events.
In a nutshell, I´m not sure you can detect those differences on a double blind test.
So if the cause is pigments, or fillers or anti-fungal/anti-uv etc compounds there must be a deeper reason, superparamagnetism is one property of MnFe2O4, is this of effect at room temp ?.
I would start searching for explanations after this claimed ability is properly proven.

Status
Not open for further replies.