cables and more cables

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Re: Re: Factual And Constructive Should Be The Vibe..........

angel said:
Disregard the audio band. I'm largely convinced that, apart from termination and microphonics, the majority of potentially audible effects, are second order (id est those who result from interaction with other components, mainly the amplifier).

It is well known that airborne noise can cause amplifiers to clip or distort. Especially if there is any flaw in the grounding scheme. High frequencies, outside the audio band, can cause the circuit to hit slew limits, or in some cases, modulate the audio signal, with the attendant result that the transistors end up reproducing the audio signal while constantly varying their effective operating point, and not necessarily near their linear region.

Sure. RF can cause a number of problems with some amplifiers. But what would pinging a cable with a TDR tell you in this regard?

True. I'm the lights-on kind of guy myself, anyway, though.

Hehehe. Well I guess that too would depends on who you're fumbling around with. You've heard of "coyote ugly"? :yikes:

se

Christer said:
OK Steve, maybe the norwegians make it from cod then.

The swedish lutfisk is not, according to my dictionary, and I
have never heard of it being made from cod, although I see no
reason why it couldn't be. I don't eat it anyway, it is just an
ancient bad preservation method for fish.

Yes. But seeing as angel is from Norway, and he was the one asking what cod was, when I started searching, I started out with "cod" and "Norway." Which led to lutefisk.

se

Steve Eddy said:

Yes. But seeing as angel is from Norway, and he was the one asking what cod was, when I started searching, I started out with "cod" and "Norway." Which led to lutefisk.

se

Sure, I understand. I just thought that maybe you had got
wrong infomation, so he wouldn't learn about cod anyway.
I guess he understand the swedish name of cod that I
told him, though. Besides, since some of the info you found
claimed to be about all scandinavia, not only Norway, it
seems not entirely correct after all. On the other hand, it
must be true, you found it on the internet! :)

Disabled Account
Joined 2003
angel said:
(F) Inductance. Any signal current induces a magnetic field, which in turn affects the rest of the signal at a different time.
Inductive storage will be history independent, and superposition applies..the rest of the signal deals with the inductance independently of history. The only straying from this involves hysteresis.
When conductors lie inside this magnetic field, a current is induced in them.
A DC current will produce a circular mag field within the conductor. The current density profile will still be absolutely uniform. THE CONDUCTOR, on the other hand, will attempt to constrict. This is called the pinch effect.

This is basically the same thing; a magnetic field producing a time-delayed effect on an electron mass, whether in motion or not.
An electron not in motion will not be affected, unless you consider the procession of it's spin, which will not happen below Ghz frequencies unless the magnetic field is over 20 plus tesla.

And the magnetic fields we are capable of producing do not have a time delaying affect on an electron mass.. I assume that will change with the recent megatesla experiments.

(L)Supposedly, they align the motion of the electrons a bit, with a piece of wire that has a higher velocity of propagation than the rest, effectively ramming the electrons through the remainder of the cable more efficiently, by initially allowing a higher velocity.

Hmmm..guess the cherenkov radiation cone also comes into play??
(M) Skin effect.

What's that?;)

(N) The cable provides a nice antenna, and the previously mentioned reflections also enter into the amplifier through this path. And unlike the high frequency noise (which can cause slew limiting, etc.), the reflections cannot be as easily filtered.

You seem to be combining Mhz/Ghz topologies with audio..It doesn't exactly work that way

Cheers, John

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.