Cable lifts

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

Is there any real benefits on using cable lifts ?

Regards,
Bins.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 666
Cable Lifts

Yes they can help, especially in areas where static is high (like my home here in Las Vegas) and your room is carpeted. The moment I began lifting my cables off the floor I noticed a rreduction in noise and I listen a great deal (professional hazard).

Do they need to cost as much as they do? NO!

Mapleshade offers some tripod cable lifts for $12.00 each. I went to Michaels, bought the craft rods precut to 12 inches and 4 to a pack and made the cable lifts that are identical in look and function. Cost - $12.00 and I made fouteen of them!

Will they work in my case ?

My floor is of marble. Will this work in my case ? I am planning to build some cable lifts if they works well for me. I am planning to use teak or ebony wood for that along with neoprene or teflon layer on the top. The spikes will be made using copper or brass.

Any suggestions ?

Best regards,
Bins.

The main purpose of cable lifts is to avoid static interference, (which can in some cases be quite real, especially with nylon type carpets), from affecting the signal.

It shouldn't really be an issue with speaker level signals (but who knows for sure) , but can be quite an issue with line level signal, (hence the use of balanced lines in live audio).

ps.. I have heard static discharges in live gigs. wondered what it was until i searched it out. rub hand on shirt, touch wire, CLACK !!
hmmmm. very interesting !!!!! (shield shoulda taken care of that.. oh well, check that cable later)

But surely this is a case for diy.!!!!!!

get some 4x1 radiata or soft pine cut into 5"-6" lengths with a notch in one edge
stand them on edge to support the cables.

if it make a difference.... great

if it doesn't, cost is very minimal !!! like, uses some scrap!!

but $12 a stand..... more money than sense ! :cannotbe:

ps. if you are really into diy, then build some miniature telgraph poles, just for fun :D :D :D

My floor is of marble. Will this work in my case ? I am planning to build some cable lifts if they works well for me. I am planning to use teak or ebony wood for that along with neoprene or teflon layer on the top. The spikes will be made using copper or brass.

The spikes will have to be copper, since the impurities in brass are at least as likely to affect the sound as the other factors involved here; and gold-plating them would probably create a perceived improvement in the sound.

Regards.

Aengus

I tried cable lifts and I could hardly believe what I was hearing. After years of experimenting I have reached the conclusion that cheap speaker cables on lifts will out perform expensive cables lying on the floor every time even on less than SOTA systems.

It is definitely a 'no brainer' ............... ;)

i suggest magnets on the floor, and opposite pole magnets on the cable(with a good foot of wood between the cable and the magnet, OF COURSE!). the cables can just hover there, free from cosmic ray interference.
alternatively, the could be strung as high tension wire, free from cosmic ray interfrence...

if there actually is some static problem, just lift them with ANY non conductor. them old encyclopedias ought to do nicely.

snake oil. get your snake oil, cures everything from static to fourth dimensional brane bleedthrough.

Originally posted by binspaul

Hi Aengus,

I will use copper spikes instead of brass. One of my friend suggested me to use copper bullet balls instead of spikes. What is your opinion on that ?

What about the wood used ? Will it have any impact on the sound spectrum ? What is your idea on using bamboo / cane instead of wood ?

Regards,
Bins.

Hi binspaul

I owe you an apology - my post was kidding, because I don't honestly believe that these things make a difference. But if you do, and your question was an honest inquiry, what I said was rude. So let's (if you would be so kind) start again:

The difference between copper and brass spikes will not, in my opinion, make any difference. There are clearly electromagnetic differences between brass and copper, as there are clearly differences of some sort between wood and bamboo/cane. My own opinion is that these - used as cable lifts - will make no perceptible difference in your system, unless [this is important] you believe they will make a difference.

What I suggest is that you pay attention to the posts of SY and others who are willing to put forward quantitative arguments (and that you ignore my previous post, and the posts of others who are simply being...um, let me rephrase that...others who are less informative) and decide for yourself whether these things make any real difference. "Decide for yourself" implies that you really and truly could tell the difference in a blind test.

FWIW, my belief is that either these items make no difference, or else so little difference that you should focus your attention on about three million different things before you worry about cable lifts.

That having been said, the conversational value (with non-audiophile friends) of having miniature high-tension towers in the living room, bearing cables to the speakers, is very tempting. :D

So, to sum up:

1. My apologies for being sarcastic: your question was straightforward and honest, and my response was uncalled for.
2. I don't think cable lifts will affect much if anything; and, if they do, the difference in materiel that we discussed will be be inaudible/irrelevant.
3. I encourage you to try this for yourself, but to keep the placebo effect firmly in mind.

My best regards.

Aengus

i'm sorry, too.
it's just kinda ridiculous to think lifting cables off of the floor will do anything at all to the electricity going through the wires.
mind you, i HAVE noticed that BAD wires can pick up more RF and hum if they are on the floor, BUT, it only happens if the floor is actually the ground, as in a basement (not electrical circuit ground, although perhaps the circuit is 'trying' to use the floor as ground). good shielding prevents it.
these are not speaker wires, but microphone and guitar cables that have done this.

i seriously doubt there would be any audible difference with 'cable lifts' unless the cables themselves were poor.

i do like the high tension idea, though, too. it was just look cool.

i plugged in a guitar yesterday and got better AM reception than i do in my car.
it turned out to be the jack on the patch bay, and not the cable.
i guess i'll need interconnect lifts.
oh, wait. it was already nowhere near the floor. radio frequency is omnipresent.

maybe faraday cages around cables are a must-have item for the serious listener. that would look even cooler than mini telephone poles.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.