"cable chargers" - DC biasing cables?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Where did the idea of of biasing the shield come from?

HarryHaller said:
I wanted the cables biased and no couplings caps in the signal path for the wire. One end of the shield is tied to ground with a cap with a battery across it. H.H.
I see where you are going with this, and since foil shields are basically transparent to anything much below 1 MHz anyways you aren't really giving up much shield effectiveness by capacitively coupling the shield to ground. I assume you are using twisted pair, balanced interconnect for the signal so that will give you all the low frequency EMI rejection you could need.

Interesting idea. I'd love to hear how effective this is. Any comments about what the audible effects are of doing this. Are there any measurable (by something other than the ear) effects from doing this?

I am assuming that this wiring method only connects the shield to one end of the cable which would help ground loop problems. Any thoughts on how much of a factor this might be in the improvements you hear. I wonder what would happen if you replaced the battery with a resistor that matched the batteries source impedance, and left everthing else the same? Might be an interesting experiment to run to see how much of the benefit is due to the bias and how much is do to something else (ground isolation, balanced interconnect, whatever).

Phil

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.