Cable between RCA inputs and amplification board

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gauge is unimportant because these wires aren't handling high current. Some claim that very thin wires are sonically superior; I'm not sure that's true, but at least thin wires are cheap! Wire-wrap wire is a nice choice- good quality conductors and Kynar insulation.

In my own amps, I tend to use either a shielded cable or a pair of twisted wires of moderate gauge (e.g., 24 AWG solid)- I don't notice any difference between these choices and use whatever is convenient and on-hand.

Gauge is unimportant because these wires aren't handling high current. Some claim that very thin wires are sonically superior; I'm not sure that's true, but at least thin wires are cheap! Wire-wrap wire is a nice choice- good quality conductors and Kynar insulation.

In my own amps, I tend to use either a shielded cable or a pair of twisted wires of moderate gauge (e.g., 24 AWG solid)- I don't notice any difference between these choices and use whatever is convenient and on-hand.

Thanks for the reply. Ok I got some 21AWG laying around so I think I take that. I searched for Kynar insulation. Found it but never heared of it. Is it like heat shrinking plastic? (I got some black and yellow pieces)

kynar & teflon

kynar is also known generically as PVDF in some selector tables. Harder than PVC to knick or burn. electronicsurplus.com had some a couple of weeks ago in the 26 ga that is not used for microelectronic wirewrap. They also had some teflon insulated shielded twisted pair in small gauge, that I bought some of to run inputs from RCA jacks past a cheap, non-insulated power transformer. I like teflon insulation bacause if you don't do this a lot, and are waving your soldering iron around while looking for your connection, you don't burn another wire. Teflon, PFTE is extrememly expensive in the primary market ($60 a hundred feet for ROP compliant new stock) but esurplus has got some 18 teflon hookup wire in various colors. Their shipping is $10, a little pricey over 250 miles, and their minimum is $15. Good luck.

I would usually use shielded cable for any line level wiring more than about 10cm. I would also use shielded cable if the line level wiring gets anywhere near output wiring, AC cables or any other stuff that is likely to cause interference.

Teflon insulated cable is my favourite, mainly because it's so heat resistant rather that its dielectric performance (which is very good). You can solder straight to the shield without melting the insulation around the core, that's impossible with conventional cable.

Teflon insulated cable is my favourite, mainly because it's so heat resistant rather that its dielectric performance (which is very good). You can solder straight to the shield without melting the insulation around the core, that's impossible with conventional cable.

Still is my favorite too. In fact i still have about "O" 3 buckets of it!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.