• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Buzzing Edcor transformers

Antek you say? i had an Antek toroid sent to me that was DOA, the primary wire was broken, no wonder there was no continuity in the primary, from the looks of it, there were no signs of mishaps that could have made that, such as being dropped from a height....one of those China jobs eh? did they ever test that before shipping?
Best transformers I've ever owned. Impeccable build quality.

Btw, you had Chinese transformers sent from New Jersey to the Philippines? Yeah, that makes sense. Totally plausible.

Best transformers I've ever owned. Impeccable build quality.

Btw, you had Chinese transformers sent from New Jersey to the Philippines? Yeah, that makes sense. Totally plausible.
I wouldn‘t go quite that far. Best for the money, that’s for sure. You won’t get them cheaper unless you own the factory and can get them for cost. I’ve seen better build quality than Antek but only at 2-3X the price.

They are quiet - when run at 60 Hz anyway.

The packing job has sometimes left something to be desired. They ship the big ones in one of the little flat rate boxes to save on shipping cost. Poor little mail lady has to struggle getting the 1.5kVAs from the car to the house…. It’s possible that the big 800+ VA could get damaged in shipment, although I’ve never had it happen.

They don't come cheaper than Antek. $8-15. They cost a bit more on fleabay but the shipping is free there, for some reason.
I hadn't seen Antek's drawn steel covers before. They may be cheaper if you're OK with the acorn nut on top (I'm not). It seems their suggested mounting closes the magnetic loop, or am I reading their mounting diagram incorrectly? Better not mount your transformers like that with a steel bolt to a steel chassis.

Do Not Insulate the transformer end bells and laminations from the chassis!
Prevent "The Surviving Spouse Syndrome".

If you must space the transformer with insulation, then use ground lugs and wires from the end bells to the chassis.
you may not like the looks; but a coffin that is open for viewing is not pretty either.

Now matter how you construct the mounting, Always be sure to scrape away the paint that insulates the end bells from the screws or ground lugs that connect to the chassis.

I had a transformer that shorted the primary to the laminations and end bells.
Others have reported this too.

• Thank You
Reactions: 2 users
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
My pair of Edcor PTs hum a little. Not enough to really bother but when right between them, as when I change a record, you are aware of a slight hum. From a couple of feet there is nothing intrusive - certainly not enough for me to tear back into the mono-blocks.
Customer service basically told me tough luck. Next time I will try Monolith Magnetics. I received my output transformers about 10 days from my order and they are in Belgium whereas Edcor is way closer.
I have monolith power transformers in the line stages I built for me and several friends - dead silent.

Antek sells a higher "grade" transformer cover without the acorn nut. Expensive they were but the look nice and are heavy. I don't really understand how this avoids the shorted coil syndrome but it has been working for over a year without complaint so I guess Antek knows a thing or two. COVER
PXL_20230413_214829359.jpg

And if it was a DC offset issue, an Antek would make a racket, too. Toroids hate DC far more than EIs do. If an Antek is silent and an Edcor buzzes I’d say it was being run at too high a flux density.

Which can be considered normal. Just not quiet. I have a couple of 900VA 480V industrial control transformers I’m planning to make tube amps out of. They’re about as loud as a typical utility transformer, which I’ll just have to live with. It is kind of a shame, though, to spend Good Money on one meant for an audiophile application and have it make a racket.

A bolt through the center of a toroid produces a shorted turn if the metal cover is also in contact with the chassis. I worked on a project where this mistake was made (bolt got hot!); the fix was to insulate one end of the bolt with a shoulder washer.

The Hammond 270 series transformers are rated for 60 Hz operation, 370 for 50/60 so you get 20% lower flux density on 60 Hz. On 50 Hz... not so much.

The thing is there is a center bolt holding the center shaft to the chassis. Doesn't get hot and works just fine. I seem to remember a rubber washer that insulates the top of the toroid from the steel cover but I'm not disassembling things to check. The toroid has a metal plate that screws on to that shaft to hold the transformer tight inside.
Web Pic.