Buy TD15M or keep Supravox 400-2000 EXC

Buy TD15M or keep Supravox 400-2000 EXC ??

• Total voters
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I will be moving house soon and will build a new home theater. For LCR I will most likely be going with a two-way, a 15" woofer for 70-1000Hz and a CD + SEOS15/18 above that. There will also be a sub in the system below 70 Hz.

The L+R will be corner mounted and toed-in 45 degrees to take advantage of constant directivity. All drivers will be flush/soffit mounted.

I can't decide whether I should use a pair of Supravox 400-2000 EXC that I already have (and get another one for the center speaker), or if I should sell them and instead get three AE Speakers TD15M. I have never heard the TD15M so I don't know what I could expect from swapping.

I am foremost a music fan and would like to go with the drive that has the best midrange. Having said that, this is for HT to be enjoyed by the whole family, so it matters also that the driver is ultra-dynamic with great transients and mid-bass (hence why I've also considered Beyma 15p80Nd and B&C 15NW76 but worry about their midrange performance since pro woofers with no explicit audiophile aspirations...). Similarly, power handling and SPL for HT use is another reason why I'm looking at other options than the Supravox.

Last edited:
I am foremost a music fan... so it matters also that the driver is ultra-dynamic with great transients and mid-bass (this is also why I've considered Beyma 15p80Nd and B&C 15NW76 but worry about their midrange performance since pro woofers with no explicit audiophile aspirations...).

""With no explicit audiophile aspirations..."" ?! :)
You are no expert... you don't know what you're saying.
Look at this example of the Daniel Hertz M1 ($100,000/pair), designed by Mark Levinson with Beymas 12P80Nd + 18P80Nd here. ;) :D :D

profesional beyma 12P80NdE pdf
profesional beyma 15P80NdE pdf
profesional beyma 18P80NdE pdf

You are no expert... you don't know what you're saying.

Wow, seems I hit a sore point there...

Beyma is a no-nonse pro audio driver manufacturer marketing its products without using snake-oil arguments. This is what I meant with "explicit". I know they are very popular among the DIY crowd, hence why I'm considering them, but it's still difficult for a hi-fi luddite like me to shake of the skepticism of PA drivers - unheard - for midrange rather than midbass duty. AE speakers are of course different, occupying the space between pro and hi-fi with a stellar reputation in both camps. Both need to be better than the 400-2000 EXC in this respect though for it to make sense for me to substitute them.

Look at this example of the Daniel Hertz M1 ($100,000/pair), designed by Mark Levinson with Beymas 12P80Nd + 18P80Nd here

Wow again, another ML rip-o... expensive product :D

So I guess your vote goes to the 15p80Nd then by the sounds of it? Have you compared it to the other drivers? Is the Beyma underhung and have a copper sleeve shorting ring like the TD15M?

I’ve heard of Supravox reliability issues. I’ve never read anything but high praise about the Lambda speakers: I'd go Lambda

What max dB are you after, with what amp? Maybe the 10 or 12 inch is enough

Thanks, Otto. Yeah maybe. It is not so much the absolute dB I'm after though, more the difference in presentation. For this project, I want that dynamic larger-than-life "alive" sound and I think a 15 inch may have the edge over a 10 or 12 inch in this respect. But I still want the midrange to be the best it can be, which is why I'm asking for advice. The SV has good midrange but they lack a bit of that raw impact in the midbass that IMO goes with that large and live presentation (granted, I run them in OB so perhaps I'm being unfair to them. They might perform differently in a sealed box). I haven't had anyreliability issues with my pair but indeed the SV's feel more fragile than the better pro audio drivers, and like I said, power handling is one of the reasons I'm looking to substitute them.

The TD15M is reputed to have some of the best midrange among pro drivers but some seem to feel it is a bit too polite and laid-back compared to say the offerings from Beyma, B&C etc. Again, I haven't had the privilige to hear them, so again looking for advice.

The 15P80Nd seems to need a really large sealed box compared to the TD15M to play down to 60-80 Hz.:(

Qts 0.15, Bl 23.1 and Mms 56 gram on a 12 inch woofer... hmm, sounds like a horn driver...?

What type of enclosure are you using yours in and what's your F3?

i am using a cabinet, which i made in the past for audax project:

Foto-0042p.jpg

i have not made frequency response measurements.

TD15M has exceptional midrange quality and reaches high enough with good dispersion to make life easy for the HF driver. I have mine in 5cu.f enclosures crossed-over to BMS 4550 on the QSC waveguide around 1.3kHz via miniDSP and it's a wonderful speaker IMO.

IG

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.