Burson V6 Vivid Review

I am posting this review of Burson V6 in the solid state section because although its an Operational Amplifier but it is also a discrete OP AMP.

Couple of months back John Burson offered to send Burson Discrete Op Amps and I had to d a review in return, as my sci fi novel are in the final stages of completion I utilized my humorous acumen to review Burson V6 Vivid, so here goes:

In my recent escapade with the venerable miro1360 AD1865 DAC, enhanced by the magnificent Burson V6 Vivid discrete operational amplifier, I uncovered a treasure trove of auditory delights! Allow me to regale you with the saga!

Installation Extravaganza:

The Burson V6 Vivid's insertion was akin to a masterful swordplay manouver in a medieval epic - seamless and fitting like a bespoke suit. Kudos to Burson for making compatibility feel like a breeze on a sun-drenched meadow!

The Grand Sonic Melee:

Let's set the stage for our contenders: LME49720HA, LM4562, AD8620, OPA2134, and OPA2604 - each a valiant warrior in their own right. The Burson V6 Vivid, brimming with confidence, danced through this sonic battlefield, challenging each foe with unbridled enthusiasm.

Comparative Table:

Operational AmplifierPerformance Rating (Out of 10)Verdict
Burson V6 Vivid9.8Majestic!
LME49720HA9.7A Worthy Adversary!
LM45629.4Respectable Showing!
AD86209.0Sturdy Effort!
OPA21348.8Admirable Attempt!
OPA26048.8Valiant Fight!

The Burson V6 Vivid asserted its dominance, leaving the LM4562 in awe, coaxing the AD8620 into joyous sobs, and nudging the OPA2134 to strive for more.

Then came the grand showdown with the LME49720HA - a titan, a legend. These two clashed in a battle that resonated through the ages. The Burson emerged triumphant, but it was a contest that left no doubt about the LME49720HA's legendary status.

A Symphony of Sonic Splendor:

The Burson V6 Vivid, the maestro of this orchestra, conducted with finesse and flair. Highs soared like eagles, mids enveloped in a warm embrace, and bass reverberated like the heartbeat of a dragon. It was a crescendo of sonic ecstasy, painting vivid landscapes in the theater of my mind.

The Rendezvous with Spotify:

Connecting the DAC to my trusty iPad via USB and XMOS interface was a tryst made in audio heaven. Spotify, in its highest quality garb, serenaded my senses. It was as if I could hear the artists' very souls, etched into every note and chord.

A Time-Traveling Serenade:

Ah, but the true marvel came when the USB cable embraced my laptop, where audio was set at 24-bit and a resplendent 192 kHz. FLAC files from various artists graced my ears, transcending the boundaries of time and space.

Richard Marx's velvety croon swept me back to the golden days of heartfelt ballads. Celine Dion's powerful vocals carried me to a realm where emotions knew no bounds. Rahat Fateh Ali Khan's soul-stirring songs transported me to distant lands, echoing through centuries of musical tradition. And Pankaj Udhas, with his mellifluous ghazals, serenaded me through a journey of poetic elegance.

In each note, I felt the pulse of history, the heartbeat of artistry, and the essence of human expression. The Burson V6 Vivid had transformed my listening space into a time machine, and I was the fortunate traveler.

In the end, the Burson V6 Vivid left me spellbound. It's more than an amplifier; it's a conduit to a musical universe. While the LME49720HA put up a gallant fight, the V6 Vivid emerged as the resplendent victor, staking its claim as a force to be reckoned with.

Now on a serious note, listening to Music is more than just a few tests about spectrum, frequency response, distortion etc; to me it is a matter of personal preference, the audio setup, the room acoustics and a few other qualitative things, for me Bursons needed about a week’s burn-in time after that they really came alive. LME49720HA with heatsink after burn-in period is much too good. I have Burson v4 as well but I found V6 much better that the earlier versions.

I intend to put the Burson in my version of Bugle 3 clone, but that’s for later. Also I intend to pit it against @Vunce 's IV stage for DAC, that will happen when my TDA1541 DAC is ready, which is currently waiting for WIMA capacitors to arrive.

@John Burson , @miro1360

Here is how my test bed looks like:

20230908_172825.jpg
20230908_172844.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Adjective salad I find particularly unimpressive compared to any kind of measurement.

Why not measure the performance like I did? I am completely sure you or anyone couldn't differentiate those opamps from each other in a double-blind comparison anyway - confirmation bias is a real and potent thing you cannot eliminate any other way - since you got a freebie you scored it higher, a tribute to human psychology rather than semiconductor performance.

My results from measurement determined its definitely an OK performer, but significantly more power-hungry and much more expensive than any of its competition, so a non-starter for me as the level of performance or better is readily available for a fraction of the cost, space, power usage (and come with proper datasheets). That's common sense.

Reactions: 1 users